META + PEP Questions

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gearz, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Gearz

Gearz Member

Can anyone help with these two questions on Pepakura and Metasequoia.

Pepakura ~ I've been changing the colour of the fold lines on the development, in a bitmap editor after exporting. Is there a way to change the line colour in the development window?

MeatsequoiaLE ~ Is there a way of centring the ' Rotation of View' on a current object / selection, as opposed to the 000 point?

thanks for any help.

2. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Center of rotation

For the rotation question, In Meta, select a vertex, face, whatever and hit Ctrl-W, or select Attribute, Set Center of Rotation.

I'd love to know the answer to the line color question myself.
  3. keith

keith Member

pepakura - NOPE :)

Metasequoia, if you use the new shareware version 2.4 you can set the center of rotation in the config->edit to fix, selected part or center of screen. CTRL+W then only works for the fix configuration.

Is you the gearz from cabspace?
  4. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Pepakura - The Japanese language version of viewer allows you to use line transparancy when printing the PDO file.

I'm not a Metasequoia user so no help there.
  5. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

Pepakura - you can only make the lines thinner using the Line Type Configuration option, or make them disappear, by using the Edge Erase tool. nothing about chaning the colors, though.
  6. RedRogueXIII

RedRogueXIII New Member

Pepakura - <Configuration < Color Configuration, i assume thats what you mean.

Metasequioa - Click the middle mouse button and drag to change the rotation origin faster.
  7. barry

barry Active Member

Petal formation

Can anyone tell me how to force a petal formation around the top of a cylinder.

8. Gearz

Gearz Member

Meta view rotation, thanks guys ~ 'Ctrl+W' works a treat, I knew it had to be something obvious / right under my nose ( I'll have to stop picking it and start looking under it!) There's probably a menu command? to reset the view to '000' ~ 'F5' works on version 2.1

Keith ~ gearz.cabspace = yep! yet another temporary cardpark.

Webdude ~ thankyou I'll go check it out.... Japanese version only mmmm...

RedRogueXIII ~ Thanks for the Meta tip ( need all I can get) I think Jaybats must be on the money with the Dev line colour in PEP ( 3D window only unfortunately) Its kind of odd the programmers didn't include such an obvious/desirable option.... I'll go ask them.

Barry ~ Sorry, I for one am a real tourist to 3D, so I can't quite picture what your asking.
    Petals as in ~ flower petals on a stem or just the arrangement?
    Force as in ~ You little bastards, join yourselves to that cylinder or I'll send your worthless program to the recycle bin.?

Is this similar to what your asking?

Attached Files:

9. barry

barry Active Member

Peta topsl

Hi Gearz

No it was not a good description I finally found a way to force it, if you cut a sphere in half and "pull" it you get concentric circles from pepakura which are a pain at 1/250. However if you use lattice to extend it then chop it off again and pull the cylinder from it . It produces this

Hi Gearz

10. Gearz

Gearz Member

Sorry mate i was on the wrong bus there, got it now ~ that's a neat trick! going to go and practice that.
  11. keith

keith Member

Barry, you doing flowers now :)
    Take it's for a chimbley?

There's only one way i have found:
    1st make a single petal using pull on one of the cylinder faces top line, cut, scale, move, bend....whatever method you would use to make a single petal. select the petal, cut, paste,mirror. select 2 petals, copy, paste rotate 90 degrees....copy paste until you are done. Merge your objects, join closed vertices.
    Worthwhile rotating your cylinder first.

Gearz, papermodels.cabspace is now available, i deleted my account, it went so slow........must have been on a bad server.
  12. barry

barry Active Member

Flowers and things

It's supposed to be a radome not a bloody Tulip !!! Come to think of it a Tulip would be harder to do.

So lets turn it round how do I make an inverse "petal" nose cone in meta ?

ie for a Mosquito WWII wooden variety with two Merlins

13. keith

keith Member

Barry - Try playing with the rounded cylinder primative.
    U = 16 , 50
    V = 1 , 200
    R = 8 , 50

Gearz, your petals won't join because you have vertices in the middle of a line. The base of you petal needs to be made from 5 triangles, not 4 rectangles. The biggest triangle connects from the cylinder line to the middle vertex on the petal and then have 2 triangles on each side to fill the gap. Get it?
  14. Gearz

Gearz Member

arrrrr.....penny's dropped! Thanks Keith, that explains a few part disasters I've had. (&%#*&.. why the hell is it putting a bloody flap there!!.)

Btw, thanks for the heads-up, cabspace is pretty slow, but I'll have to keep gearz for the time being ~ got to many links pointing to it for projects in progress. ? Wonder if you can register multiple sites, It would be handy url, I'll check it out.
  15. Gearz

Gearz Member

PEP line colour

RE ~Changing line colour in PEP's dev window

Guess this puts paid to that..

We received your comment via Web form:
    Q. I and many other users have wondered, if there is anyway to change the
    line colour in the 'development' window? OR is there any plan to
    incorporate this feature in future versions?

We are sorry, the current version of Pepakura Designer does not have a
    feature to change line color.

Although, the schedule of the release of the next version is not decided
    this feature will be added in the next version.

Tama Software Ltd.
    Pepakura Designer support office confirms

16. barry

barry Active Member

meta question

Thanks again Keith makes good modern liferafts