Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hans Christian, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Anyone remember the Deep Impact film? (1998)

I really want to see a scale model of the Messiah spacecraft they used there... but so far, no plastic model was released... (well, that's not surprising...)

But now, with so many real space card models, having the spacecraft in card is now a possibility... especially when the ship used big bits and pieces of actual space rockets:

- The (severely modified) front section of the space shuttle
    - 2 oversized Ariane V Solid Boosters
    - 6 Energia Strap-on boosters
    - 2 modified Shuttle External tanks

the only thing that's sci-fi is the experimental Orion Nuclear propulsion system, and the antennas...

so guys, anyone interested? :-D

film review...

many said that between deep impact and armageddon, deep impact is the lamest of all, but for me, its the opposite...

No offensement guys to those who liked armageddon, i like both, but for me, armageddon was the one that is too off-story, too much focus on the AJ Frost-Grace Stamper love story (full of mushy and cheesy scenes), with an entirely unrealistic plot and technology (even if its sci-fi, a sci-fi film like this should have some level of realism...)... this is just so typical hollywood... too cheesy... I don't really like what they did to it...

Deep Impact proved to me to be way better than armageddon, yes, it wasn't focused on a single character or 2, but it was focused on all characters from the film, but the movie emphasized these very good, and for me, it really proved to communicate with the viewer, on how people will react (how WE will react) and respond in case it happened to us. Plus the plot is realistic and the science is realsitic as well (it also showed that the nuclear bomb idea is not really effective in blowing comets and asteroids up, remeber when the comet was blown and reformed into the second, smaller one[maybe that's the advantage of having Eugene Shoemaker as the Scientific consultant...])... (not to mention, the SFX is more realsitic)

and like the scriptwriter said in an NGC documentary, the film's main theme is US...
  2. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Very interesting to see this spacecraft in card. I'm glad you divided the section, so 80% of the model should be done with what we have in our hard drives/servers.
    You are tempting more than one, my friend.
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I loved Deep Impact. Much more realistic than Armageddon. The special effects, coupled with my imagination, was heart-stopping.
    Maybe the world could use a ELE (Extinction-Level-event) to straighten our asses out! If the world was ending next month, how would YOU live differently?

Morgan Freeman for president? Hell YES! At least he remembers his lines!!!

If anyone runs into Tea Leoni, tell her we have a proposition...
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Messiah Spacecraft from Deep Impact

Yes Sir,

I remember it well. It was one of those sci-fi movies which left a lasting impression. It was quite realistic and highly believable. It was released in 1998, by the way. Morgan Freeman is always a good actor and so is Robert Duvall.
    Here´s a link to a 3-minute trailer on YouTube:

I found this page - VFX HQ, which deals with the special effects of the movie:
    A bit down the page in the righthand margin, there is a nice little QuickTime video clip of the US-Russian joint-venture 'Messiah' spacecraft, the giant meteor striking Earth and the huge tidal wave slamming into New York, taring down the Brooklyn Bridge on it´s way.
    I suppose you might use some of the scenes from this clip or the YouTube trailer (or the DVD, if you have it) as research material for a model,
    if you pause and examine them closely.

On this page the work of the movie model designer and builder Ed Miarecki is presented, with some clickable text strips to some of the amazing models he has made. Unfortunately, there are no pictures of the 'Messiah' but we learn that he fabricated a 12th scale model of the 'Messiah' spacecraft in 1997 for the film 'Deep Impact'.

Let´s hope someone might undertake the project of building the 'Messiah' card model.
    Perhaps you have already started, Hans Christian? In that case, good luck!

All the best,
    Bengt :D

PS. For the movie buffs, here´s a link to IMDB, with some facts and trivia:
    There is, by the way, a special edition 2-disc DVD release from this movie with a photo gallery, which might also be useful when constructing a card model.
  5. Ziga

Ziga Member

You're right, the "Messiah" card model would be great. Are there any blueprints available anywhere?
  6. Hans Christian

Wow, there's many here that's interested... :-D

Well, I've yet to undertake this monster because of its complexity... (the Orion Nuclear Reactor is one)

so I (I mean we) really need help from designers here... :-D

anyone? :-D
  7. Hans Christian

I have to admit I hate to say this, but your'e absolutely right sir...

the world is too screwed right now, and it all boils down to money... piles and piles of money...
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Armageddon in The Year 2036?

Hi all,

While checking out other trailers on the 'Deep Impact' movie and for the 'Messiah' spacecraft on YouTube, I found this remarkable 7-minute Japanese 'Deep Impact' video clip:

It depicts the midget planet Aphopis (or 2004MN4), which was discovered on June 19, 2004, which is said to be on a collision course with Earth.

It will (supposedly) narrowly miss the Earth by a mere 30.000 kilometers on Friday 13th(!) of April, 2029. This is a common height for many of our satellites. And when it does, the source says, Earth´s gravitation will pull it slightly off course.
    Therefore, the next time it passes, seven years later in 2036, it might return in a much closer course and perhaps collide with the Earth.

This figure shows how close to the Earth it will pass in 2029 - only about a 12th of the distance to the Moon. We will clearly be able to watch it from the Earth:

So, if we are to believe this source, Armageddon or Deep Impact might not be that far away - at best only 29 years?
    (A link to my text source, for those of you who can understand German: )

Perhaps we´d better start building the real 'Messiah' spacecraft? Apparently, if the source is correct, suggestions have already been put forth as how to deflect or alter the course of the midget planet Aphopis.

source: GoBlack Astronomie / Aktuelles
  9. jasco

jasco Member

I loved the youtube link. I just wish I understood Japanese. I think the gist of it was:"we're screwed" I'll be 70 years old in 2029. Nice knowin' ya.
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Aphopis / 2004MN4 asteroid

Hi jasco (and all others),

I hope we´ll have the opportunity of knowing one another for many more years to come . . .

It seems the Aphopis asteroid/midget planet is causing quite a stir worldwide. I Googled the number for the asteroid (2004MN4) and came up with more info, in English:
    1. A discussion forum (not unlike
    2. Info with a red alert for Friday, April 13th, 2029, with preliminary odds /a likelyhood of one in 26,000 for a collision occuring on that date:
    3. NASA´s info on the Aphopis asteroid: MN4

11. Hans Christian

12. Hans Christian

it may be odd to say this, but if I'll be given a choice of how I am gonna die, I want to die like the crew of the Messiah...
  13. Hans Christian

plus, if that thing passes close to the moon, and (you know...), chances are it WILL hit us...
  14. Hans Christian

If a designer is reading this, please make one!!! Pretty Please!!!??? :-D
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Aphopis / 2004MN4 asteroid

The way I understand it, the Aphopis/2004MP4 asteroid will actually come a lot CLOSER to us than the Moon - about eleven times closer . . .

Book me a place NOW on the 'Messiah' . . .

Let´s cross our fingers and hope that thing misses us, in 2029 and in 2036,
  16. Hans Christian

I certainly HOPE so sir...
  17. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

I wonder if an Ares V could be retrofitted as an asteroid deflector?
  18. Zathros

Zathros Guest

With the way our "gubment" (USA) is pissing away money a "paper Messiah" is about all we'll be able afford, so get you exacto's ready boys, we'll have to build a sh*tload of them.
  19. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Ummm, ha ha ha?
  20. Hans Christian

Any designers out there reading our plea? :-D