message to Surfduke

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Bionic Modeler, Mar 8, 2008.

1. I believe Carl had some personal family problems he was dealing with. Beyond that I will not elaborate.
  2. my models of Carls designs

here are my photos. These have been beat up a little since i built them but Here you are.

Attached Files:

3. Here are the rest

Attached Files:

4. Hmmm 939 visits but only 22 posts--What is wrong with this picture???:)
  5. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I don't think there is anything wrong here. Members are looking in the thread, because one of our family is missing. Because people don't post, don't mean people don't care.
  6. smyfe

smyfe Member

I don't know how I missed this thread, Carl, I really hope that everything works out for you and you can get back to the forum, it was reading your threads and seeing your models that got me interested in models of spacecraft and rockets in the first place.
  7. Het Carl,

If you catch this thread how bout dropping us a line just to let us know everything is OK,

Thanks from all of us

8. mvink

mvink Member

Yeah Carl, you have more friends here than you realize.

9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Anyone know where Carl lives...?
  10. jparenti

jparenti Member

I know, I'm dragging a thread back up after a couple months, but I wanted to ask a question. Mechanic, did you have to do anything special to get your heatshield on? Or are my fingers just that clumsy? :)
    I hope I can get my Skylab finished so I can post it here. It's been sort of meandering along, since I'm working with just pictures.
  11. I'm also very curious what happened to Carl, this guy could design models at the same speed somebody could build them..This tread was never ended;
    So Carl, just drop in , when you are in the neighbourhood:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    cheers, Billy
  12. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I don't know if I can explain easily, but it is an easy method. I assembled the top cone, then assembled the heatshield pieces from the center out.

As Carl has drawn the the heatshield, I just used a single flat piece in the center rather than trying to make that very shallow cone, and the final band that separates the top from the bottom, I couldn't glue all those wedges together so I made a simple band in it's place.

I used glued on tabs so I could butt the seams. The final seam between the upper cone and the lower band (w/tabs on lower), glue the tabs and push both halves together until the glue sets.

It occured to me, when I was building Delta 7's Mercury, that the reason Dan put a hatch on there was so you could get your fingers inside to the tabs. The second Mercury I built I did that way and it worked well, but I had a few reasons not to do it that way with this model.
  13. Waeschens

Waeschens Member

Hello Carl,
    please come back. :confused:

14. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

That's right. I have downloaded lots of Sufduke's stuff but not built any yet. Nevertheless, I appreciate what he has done and wholeheartedly add my thanks.

15. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

who ever borrowed carl need to put him back!!! or else
  16. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

Surfduke, we all miss you as you can see. For those of us of a certain age, for whom Apollo is not just a Wikipedia entry, I thank you.
    The launch of ASTP was my first opportunity to see a launch from the Cape. We got to see most of the old Apollo equipment before it was modified or scrapped. Best of all we even got to go inside the VAB, as Roy Rodgers said upon seeing it, "it shore would hold a lot of hay".
    So I thank you for your work, and hope to build your designs in the future.
    You know a models good when it makes you giggle out of sheer joy as you try to put it together.
  17. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

sir carl, we sure hope your'e doing all right!!!

Take care always!!! :-D
  18. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I will continue to host his models until I can no longer afford my site.

I hope he at least sticks his head in and says "Hi" sometime....
  19. jparenti

jparenti Member

You are good to do this, MOS95B. I know that I am personally grateful to you that your site is there when we need it. I hope Carl will return to us as well, just so we can show him that we're catching up on our builds. He was cranking them out faster than I could print them. :)
  20. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

sir MOS', if ever the site closes down (I sure hope not), we sure hope you'll upload the models in the downloads section, or pass them to our good guys with their own sites...

sir Carl's models are too good to be lost... :(