mercury capsule

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by uglyguy9, Apr 20, 2008.

1. uglyguy9

uglyguy9 Member

i know the interior isnt too accurate .....

Attached Files:

2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Looks good! :)
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury Capsule and Tower Model

Hi uglyguy9,

Very good looking interior and also a beautiful launch escape tower - did you combine Carl Hewlett´s/Bob Bendorf´s 'Sigma 7' capsule model and Ton Noteboom´s tower?

I´d like to do that some day - Erik te Groen´s and Ton Noteboom´s Mercury towers are both very nice to put on top of Carl´s detailed 'Sigma 7' capsule model.

All the best,
    Bengt :thumb:
  4. uglyguy9

uglyguy9 Member

hi Bengt
    very keen eye you have there and well picked :goldcup:
    i did some shadow around the "united states" but thats about all.

take care Bengt :wave:
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury 'Sigma 7' Capsule and Tower Model

Hi uglyguy9,

Yes, I noticed the effective shadowing of the 'UNITED STATES' logos - very nice.

Take care,
    Bengt :wave:

PS. I am currently working on a little bit of re-coloring adjustments of Bob Bendorf´s fine 'Sigma 7' capsule skin rendering, just to make them a little bit darker and to increase the contrast btw the UNITED STATES text and the darker metal plating.
    I have also slightly changed the color of the brown color of the edge/rim of the capsule, to better suit my Photoshop color scale and printer process and I have also increased the color saturation of the flags and Sigma 7 logo. Furthermore, I have added some detail to the three fastening points for the launch escape tower. I plan to cut out the capsule window and make it three-dimensional, with two window panes (see the test model to the left).
    I have not yet decided on the correct color of the heat shield, though - I will have to make some more photo research for that. Here is how it looks so far - in my opinion, it is the best Mercury capsule card model in this scale to date:

6. uglyguy9

uglyguy9 Member

nice work Bengt.
    it is a great capsule to work with.......look forward to seeing this
    cheers mate
  7. Care to share? I too had the same observations. But I would appreciate a copy if you don't mind.
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Well, timhinds,

Now we are entering the realm of spreading my personal printer adjustments of somebody else´s work on the Internet - I don´t know how Bob would feel about that . . .
    When Carl´s model was released on his MoonPort web site, it included Bob Bendorf´s finished Mercury skin rendering, which he had worked on for a long time (it was also discussed openly here).
    I think he did a really great job of it and I even helped a tiny little bit on the rendering of the attitude thrusters. In my opinion, it is the best rendering of the complicated Mercury metal plating pattern on a card model to date. I hope you see my point, though.

I suggest that you try something similar in Photoshop yourself. It isn´t that complicated, actually. Just trace the letters and darken the rest. Increase saturation levels on the flags and if you think so, trace and change the color of the rim. All I wanted to do really was to darken it a bit and make the UNITED STATES text more prominent.
    You can use my picture above as a guidance, if you like - it looks a lot like the finished print.

All the best,
  9. Sorry, didn't want to offend anyone by stomping on their work. I agree his work is fantastic. It may be my fading vision. I of all people have the utmost repsect for the art of others.

"So let it be written so let it be done!"

Thanks for the pointers though.
  10. jparenti

jparenti Member

What was the last revision on that model? I've got it on the home computer, but I have to go searching for the right one, and I can't remember which was the final version number. I guess it isn't up at the old site anymore...?
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Carl´s 'Sigma 7' 1:32 model Rev. 1

Hi jparenti,

As far as I can see, the final/latest version of Carl´s Mercury 'Sigma 7' capsule 1.32 scale card model is Rev. 1.
    'Airbob'/Bob Bendorf worked on the 'skin' and delivered it separately.

12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury 'Sigma 7' Capsule 'Skin'

I forgot to include the link to Bob Bendorf´s site with the final Mercury 'skin' rendition - here it is:
    Project Mercury capsule

Good luck with the build,
  13. jparenti

jparenti Member

Thank you Bengt! This is my next project in line, so now I've got the right parts on hand... :)
  14. jparenti

jparenti Member

Okay. Stupid, stupid, question. I have the outer skin, but I'm pretty sure the scale is different than the interior. How do I need to scale this to make it match up?
  15. The interior is scaled smaller because there were ribs between the inner and outer skins. You have to build up the inner core until it matches the outer skin
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury 'Sigma 7' Capsule Model

That is correct, Tim,

I was helping Carl out a bit on the design of the four interior bulkheads of the 'Sigma 7' model.
    For the last and final version, he parted them into eight separate bulkhead parts, if I remember correctly. They are to be mounted to very thick card, to provide a divider wall between the interior model and the fine 'skin', made by Bob Bendorf. and, if you´d like to make your model even stronger, you make eight bulkheads (or sixteen) instead of the original four.

PS. jparenti! I have ALL the files for those models in my drive. If there is anything you need - just shoot a PM or e-mail my way! Bengt