Memphis: 2007 King Con - July 14th (Saturday)

Discussion in 'North America' started by popala, Jun 13, 2007.

1. popala

popala Member

My local scale model club will be attending the 2007 Memphis King Con. Considering that IPMS now has paper categories in the nationals, I'm going to the show and I will bring my paper models (couple of built ones and one work in progress). I emailed the club contact and I'm waiting for an answer. If they won't let me enter, I'll try to at least put up a display.

I know that there are a few modelers in the Memphis area. Would anyone like to meet up at the show? More info on times and location can be found on the 2007 King Con Info website.

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

3 hour drive.............. I just might have to be there!

3. popala

popala Member

Wonderful news!

Btw: I haven't heard back from the organizers yet, but I will be there even if paper models can't be entered - I will try to guilt them into allowing a display table :twisted:
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Maybe I can have Dr. Z's new P-51 completed by then................... now that I'm out of my building slump, also got to work on Shrike's beta Shrike:oops:
  5. popala

popala Member

Bring it with you even if it is not completed. I will have some work in progress too - makes for a great conversation topic :)
    I will also bring the paper model propaganda flyer to hand out and a few unbuilt kits to show off the variety.
  6. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

If time permits, I could probably come. I could bring a couple of architectural models, for the sake of variety.
  7. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

looks like I'm gonna have to finish up some half built proto's and try to help with the guilt!!!
  8. popala

popala Member

Bring all your guilt inducing skills and meet us at the door :)
    I guess since we're up to four attendees, we can start calling it a mini-convention :)
  9. popala

popala Member

Just a quick reminder for all those planning to attend: the show is this Saturday, apparently the location has changed from that originally announced. More info on Memphis IMPS King Con 2007 page (check out the show flyer).

I plan on bringing two built models, one in progress and a few unbuilt kits. I'll also bring some unbuilt duplicates I have (GPM/Maly/Fly etc) if anyone would be interested in model exchange.

I will see you there!!!
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Dang! Looks like I'm not going to be able to make it this weekend...............sometimes work can just be a pain!:curse:

Maybe I can make the next one:rolleyes:

11. popala

popala Member

That's really too bad :(

Next year's attendance will depend on the reception they'll give us this year. I'm not sure how pleasant it will be, since I have never received a reply to emails asking about entering paper models. I've sent them to three different addresses listed on their site...
    If we show up in numbers they'll have no choice but be nice (since IPMS nationals includes paper models) but if it's just me, they might throw me to the lions and my models into the recycling bin hehe ;)
  12. popala

popala Member

I went to the show and entered two models. People loved them and showed a lot of interest in the subject. I had a great time. What topped it off is that I brought something back:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  13. davelant

davelant Member

Congratulations. It means a lot for a paper model to pick up prizes at an IPMS contest; a lot of those plastic guys have never seen a paper model. And I speak as the president of the Huntsville (Alabama) IPMS chapter. One of my friends went to Memphis and came back with praise for your airplanes. If you want to come to our show in September, the info is here:

Maybe I'll have something ready by then.
    Dave Lanteigne
  14. popala

popala Member

Thank you Dave. One of the guys at the Memphis show came last year to our show in Arkansas. He spent about an hour asking me questions about the building techniques and process, looking at built and unbuilt models. Turns out that he was one of the organizers of this year's Memphis show, which I'm sure helped (although none of the organizers judged the contest).

I believe that I talked to your friend(s) - there were two or three guys from Huntsville that stopped by the paper models and told me a bit about you :) It's a small world.

I would love to come out to your show but I live about 6.5hrs drive time from Huntsville. If your contest was happening before school year starts it would have been possible, but unfortunately September is well into the school year so the chances of me making it there are pretty slim :(

Maybe we could meet next year in Memphis?

15. davelant

davelant Member

If I can, I'll make it to Memphis next year, but Wonderfest in Louisville will be July 19-20, so it might be a tough call.
  16. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Hello Paul,

I went to the model show and looked for paper models, but evidently I missed them. Congrats on your awards, you built some fine looking models for sure! :thumb: