"Memory wire" will it replace Turtoise ?

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
BT
The first two things that struck me, I don't think I would want a wire getting hot under my layout, and how long does it take the wire to relax after heated. If it takes 1 minute for that wire to cool and relax, thats quite a while to wait for the turnout to move.
And how do you convert a EUR?

Loren

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
it sounds like gresome has a point,i dont want ANYTHING heated under my layout.but if they make one with cooler temps,it may be promising.--josh

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I agree with both of you, my 1st reaction was: " the use of memory wire might increase my home insurance premium"
On the plus side it might give signals a more realistic slow motion to the swinging arm.
Thanks for the opinions.
Unless someone comes with a very very interesting application for it,I don't think I'll buy that "gadget".

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Is this like Nichrome wire? There was a brief flurry of interest in this in the 60s, but I don't remember ever seeing any and it's not been n the model press since. This was just a wire that lengthened (or shortened) when heated by a current and then went back when it cooled.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
It's very cool stuff, particularly for signals or other animations. The temperature involved is about 80deg C so you can't set fire to anything (unless you install it in a bath of solvent, I suppose). Look at the examples shown -- no issue so long as the wire is exposed, and because the wire (heat source) is so small, there's no significant build-up of heat around it.

It's probably just too slow to use in turnouts (and anyway, Tortoises are so easy). But I've seen it used on signals and it's fantastic for that kind of thing...

Charles