Memories of the Past Times

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Hey Jim,

Yeah, memories, that's for sure. There's only one drive-in left in the Phoenix area. The rest are apartment complexes and shopping centers now.

You really have some great photos. Don't know where you find them, but don't stop posting.:thumb: :thumb:

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
That photo was taken by O. Winston Link I think. Gary Hoover reproduced several of his photos in HO and in B&W in Model Railroader several years ago. This photo is very ironic in that the cars and planes were the downfall of passenger service of course on the R.R.'s.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by ddavidv
We still have one Drive-In here, it just opened for the season this week. :) It is, however, up for sale, so you know what that probably means. :(
An easy item to model, easily scratch built. Ours is not overly big, so wouldn't take much layout space.

:D :D David, hurry up & buy the drive in!! :) Thre are a few around here that are survuiving nicely!! they show movies 2 - 4 nights a week, (Mostly second run) & on Friday & Saturday - they host car Cruises and flea markets - the one in MD (Big M) makes tons of money :) :)

All you need is to advertise...and the cars and fleas come like pidgeons to the park LOL

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Heres the pic again.... and the link to te O Winston Link Museum site explaining about it.

1955-8-2.gif

O. Winston Railroad Photography Museum

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Tyson is right - the photo was shot by O. Winston Link. He still is famous for his excellent night shots. For one shot he installed up to 60 flash bulbs - the BIG sized ones! - along the track. He had parabolic reflectors constructed, containing up to 18 bulbs each. If you look at the picture, you see three of these reflectors as black dots below the second cylinder set, the tender and the auxiliary water tender of the loco.

He concentraded on the N&W and made dozens of fantastic shots. Jim, this one is an A-type 2-6-6-4, #1242, which was used for passenger service as well as for fast freight trains - this is train 77 or 78 on the Pocahontas division.

The scene on the screen is from a movie about fighter pilots in the Korean war, "Hot Shot". I'm not quite sure if this is a F86 or a Mig-15 - they look quite similar from that angle. And of course both appeared in that movie.

BTW, O. Winston Link placed a young couple (Willie Allen and Dorothy Christian) in his own convertible and told them to do a bit of huggin' while he fired his shot.

I found these informations in the book "Steam, Steel and Stars" containing 90 of his fantastic shots, of course by O. Winston Link (and text by Tim Hensley). It appeared 1987, although Link made his photographs in the mid-50s! Perhaps you still find a copy somewhere.

Thank you Jim for posting this picture. I grabbed my copy from the bookshelf, and this evening I'll leave through it once more. :D

Ron

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I'm pretty sure the airplane is an F-86, probably a B or C model. The MIG had a rounder bottom than the F-86. I worked on the F-86D and it had a radar cone and a smaller air intake than the previous models so that kinda pinpoints it.

F

Fred_M

I agree, it's no Mig15 for sure. Note the MIG 15 has the elevator mounted on the tail. FRED

Attachments

• mig-15uti-205-01.jpg
    mig-15uti-205-01.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 46

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Great picture!

One of the local McDonald's around here has a large framed version of it on the wall in their dinning room. I can't remember if it is the one in Drexel Hill or the one in Folsom.

Hey Mikey where are the drive-ins around here? We would love to take the kids to one. The wife and I used to go to the one on US 202 near West Chester, but it is gone now.

Do remember the Chester Pike Drive-In, behind St. Rose of Lima Church? The B&O ran along on one side of the property. I can recall as kid my mother driving down Bullens Lane and just before you went undert the bridge for the B&O you could see the screen. I may have some pictures that show the drive-in.