Memorial Day Weekend of Trains

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Gotta a couple of pics this weekend. I went to the Housatonic RR trainshed, yesterday to get some pics, but there was nothing there. So I wanted to get some pics of the Old Conklin Limestone plant for a future project and....There was nothing there. It was torn down, empty field. But i was able to get to the Housy's siding that ran next to the plant. The first pic is a critter, that the Housy used to use when they were running tour trains.

Attachments

• 44tn.jpg
    44tn.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 122

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
This next one was hooked to the 44Tn. I'm not a passenger car aficiando, but this looked either like a combine or an RPO...I'm guessing an RPO. Can't see it in the pics, but the windows were arched.....Any guesses?

Attachments

• combine.jpg
    combine.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 119

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
From the field I was standing in, this looked like a crane attatched to a flat car. When I got closer, I noticed the truth. It was a small Bay City crane...Sitting on a flat car!

Attachments

• craneonflat.jpg
    craneonflat.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 119

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Then today....
Living 1/4 mile from the tracks I heard the rare sound of a train coming into town(A real rare sound here. It was a Naugatuck RR work train.

Attachments

• nr1.jpg
    nr1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 116

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Thanks jon.
Not a stupid question. Torrington is the end of the line. The tracks end maybe 1/4 mile from where I took the pics. The Naugy is a tourist line. They used to come up every weekend, but outsde of Thomaston there was a landslide so CDOT won't let them come all the way up with passengers until the slide is fixed. Plus, there's no way to turn the locos, so they have to back all they way to back to Thomaston, where they have a passing siding. So when the Naugy comes all the way to Torrington, the whole towm comes out. There must of been a hundred people there.They all showed up when they heard the horns coming up the valley. I know I did!

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Ed, You should take a quick trip down Rt. 8, to the Thomaston train station. The RMNE has membership application forms and the dues are very reasonable. You could be working on the next work train, in no time! I've been a member for six years. It's a great organization!

We would love to get our hands on the Torrington station, but the Kelly Trans. Co. won't even consider donating it or selling it at a reasonable price.

Eric