Medieval Castles

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by Darth_Nerdious, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Darth_Nerdious

Darth_Nerdious New Member

Hello All,

Can someone point me to a good source of japanese or other medieval paper castles? I'm into plastimodelism, but since I saw a japanese castle at a meeting I got interested.

I thought architecture models would be the main course in this hobby, but it seems this forum is the least popular here at this site!

Darth Nerdious
  2. cadwal

cadwal Member

3. Darth_Nerdious

Wow, a whole new world discovered!

Thank you!

Darth Nerdious
  4. barry

barry Active Member

5. Darth_Nerdious

Did you say FREE?

This is getting more than FUN! :shock:

Thanks a lot! I found some paper models that I intend to build with my 12yr niece! :D

Darth Nerdious
  6. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

look out darth ---

highly addictive.

don't forget to eat.

- Jon
  7. Darth_Nerdious

Yeah, so many free models... It certainly has advantages over plastic models... You don't get a growing stash of boxes of unbuilt models...

Wait... Are anyone of you growing a pile of very expensive japanese and european paper model books??

8. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

well I'm up to 10 600mb Cds, 2 rubbermaid containers
    of paper, books, prints of (I'll get to that one for sure),
    not to mention I've added a 12 inch bookshelf accross the top 12 inches of every wall of my house...
  9. Darth_Nerdious

Oh my gawd, I will resist... lol

Let me guess... you're also spending your weekends learning Autocad and how to design paper models ...
  10. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I can't get anywhere with autocad, too complicated. but I have dabbled in design, mostly with MS WORD and Paint shop pro:
  11. Darth_Nerdious

Yeah, I had already taken a look at your site by following the link on your profile....

Amazing stuff... unbelievable paper rockets and posters...

When I was a kid I built a all white/all numbered paper Saturn V... It was a stamp collection... The rocket was the "album"... I had to collect stamps to glue some detail on it... never got all the stamp collection... ahhh... things have changed, but what powerful memories a 1/48 paper Saturn V can bring!!! LOL

Pretty good work you do with those classes, Jonathan!!

What? A launch platform too? OMG, you're crazy!! :shock: :D

12. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Hey there Darth! Always glad to have another fan of architecture on the boards.

If, as your name suggests, you are a fan of Star Wars, there are also some *free* and highly detailed models of mainstream Star Wars vehicles available - if you are interested I will send you some links.

I'm relatively new to this myself, but I love castle and cathedral models more than anything. All of the mfrs noted above make high quality kits you will surely enjoy. If you are in the States as I am, it might be worthwhile to visit rather than buy direct from overseas.

I am currently working on a model of Christiansborg Castle, not quite medieval, more turn-of-the-century... it currently houses Danish parliament... produced by "Yesteryear Prints" it is a reprint from the early 1900's:

Next up is Hrad Karlstejn, a Czech (I believe) castle more from the time period you like :lol:

Just make sure to post pictures of your work if you can so we can all "oooh" and "aaah"!!!

13. Darth_Nerdious

Thanks Josh!

There's just too many good models out there... I'm a little overwhelmed, I don't know where to start! LOL And yes, I've found many Star Wars kits... I just laughed and shook my head when I found a really nice Millenium Falcon...

Of course I knew there was a paper modeling market, but I was completely oblivious about the fact we can get very good free stuff nowadays.

I think I'm going to start with the Matsumoto Castle... it looks simple and looks good... and it's free! That was the one I saw some time ago at a plastimodelling meeting here in Brazil... I thought I would have to buy a book to get it or something similar... but now it resides on my hard disk... this can be very addictive, yes, I've been told that... Already downloaded many MB worth of paper models that I have no idea on how to build them :D

I saw your gallery! Nice builds... Notre Dame and Mercedez are too intimidating for me... If you find a castle that would look good in LOTR or a Kurosawa movie drop me a note! :D

14. Mountain_Hobbit

Mountain_Hobbit New Member

Hello Ya'll New Guy Here.
    I Just Downloaded the Matsumoto Castle, and it looks like a great model. But how do I open a "PDO" File. I have been modeling for a long time but this computer stuff is new to me.
    Please teach an old dog a new trick...
    Thanks In Advance
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hullo Hobbit!

PDO file format is for Pepakura Designer. Go to and download the free viewer, or the demo unfolding software, both of which will enable you to view and print your file.

Tim P
  16. Mountain_Hobbit

Mountain_Hobbit New Member

Hullo Winglo
    That is a wOnderful thing!
    Thank You