Mechwarrior 4 Mechs

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by shiftdel, Oct 30, 2007.

1. vlmarshall

vlmarshall New Member

Great legs, Shift. :D
  2. blaar

blaar Member

WoW. Those legs indeed are phat. How hard was it building them ?
  3. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

The hardest part was the bottom of the upper leg, and the knee.

The knee parts are easy to build, but they are hard to align, that's why I changed the knees and the upper legs on my final model ;)

Slight changes, just to make them easier to build.
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Awesome! Your Novacat will look excellent on my shelf next to my MW4 Shadowcat. :)
  5. blaar

blaar Member

I am also test building for shift and here is what I got thus far. (Started last night.)

Finished the rocket shoulder mount / pots and the two top torso parts. All fitted beautifully. Time and care must be taken and don't rush the torso parts since there are 4 pieces for the top half. Also I am planning on making the Mauler jointed so I pre cut some holes into the rocket shoulder mounts. I have not yet placed the tubes in them since I first want to mount them onto the torso and see what angle I need the tubes inside the pots. Since the side of pot is at an angle the tube will also be needed to be cut and placed at an angle else the arm shoulder joint will not be straight. Hope to get to that tonight. Here are some pics.

First pic.
    Center part of torso, front section of torso and the two shoulder pots.

Second pic.
    Completed toso with front section with shoulder pots

Third pic
    Side view of toso showing how nice the front section fits to the center piece of the torso. (Now I understand why shift had such a head ache with the torso. Compared to his other mech models this one is by far the most work needed on a torso and perhaps also the most beautifuk one yet. I am just amazed at how he managed to get all the angles and fold line together. Gonna look awesome.)

Attached Files:

6. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

That's a really great build blaar... although that part is not the front torso, it's the rear torso ;)

Thanks for helping with this beta building, all feedback will be welcome :)

About the torso, I really like the original MW4 design, so I didn't want to loose those nice angles (I think the same about Novacat).
  7. blaar

blaar Member

Oops. Yes it is the rear. I noticed last night when I finished the last part. Luckely I did not glue the pots on yet.

But onto my build. Sorry I did not take pictures but I finished the whole torso and the head section. I must say building the head was sort of a head ache for me. Using the thick 250gsm cardstock did not work as good as I have hoped. But still I managed. Think a tip would be to perhaps print the smaller / finer detail parts on lighter paper or cardstock since the heavy cardstock does not bend well when making small parts. I hade some problems with the top piece of the head but it came out ok. Not a problem with your design shift but rather my skill and the thick cardstock. Other than that all is fine. I also finished the round parts witch attached to the rocket pots and cut hole onto both sides of them. I plan to make the tube . shaft extend all the way through the round parts and into the rocket pots and them glue it onto the inner side of the pot. This should make for a strong joint.

I realy must congratulate you on the fine piece of work. It is much harder than any of your previous models but already I can see the end result is going to be one of your best pieces yet. I mean just building the head section piece consisted of 4 pieces and the angles on there just make the piece just that much more believeable.

Hope to submit more pics tomorrow. Hopefully I will have the rocket pots, head pieces glued onto the torso.
  8. blaar

blaar Member

Did some more work last night. Finished the torso with head and shoulder pots and started working on the arms. Comming together very nicely. Arms joints also done.Only I seem to have cut the one hole slightly bigger. So I improvised. Taped some masking tape around the tube so now the joint is tighter and still fits good. So far no fitting problems.

Attached Files:

9. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

very nice looking build, Blaar....
  10. Kjev

Kjev Member

It encourages me to get a printer up and going again.

The not as fried now . . .
  11. blaar

blaar Member

Well. I had some alone time this weekend and got around building some more. A lot more. Here is a updated shot.

Finished almost everything and just need to finish the toes and the knees. Then assemble all the rest.

I had some trouble, not much with the upper legs back part since there was one part with no glue tab and you have to make your own tab or make use of the other parts to keep it in place.

The knee joint is also tricky. Not hard, just tricky.

I did not make the legs articulated because I was not sure how to make the legs move where it connects at the lower torso. The problem is not making and installing a joint but rather the fact the since it is connecting at an angle I think when raising the leg it will also move at an angle and will not look right. The knee joint should be easy to make move'able.

Well. Hope to finish tonight.

Attached Files:

12. blaar

blaar Member

Shift. Here is the part I am referring to where I could not spot a glue tab. Not a problem since the other parts help to keep it in place or you can glue the edges together. My first time coping with this sort of joint. I must say, you realy test all aspects of the builder and I just love it.

Attached Files:

13. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Hmmm, my fauld, I didn't noticed that edge when i modified the part.

On my first prototype, the upper leg was one single part, and it was a bit harder to build and not strong enough. So I split the leg at the lateral part, and forgot to correct that small place, thanks for the feedback, I'll correct it ;)
  14. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

About the joints, together with the final model, I will release a set of joints with the correct angles to fit inside of the angled parts :D
  15. blaar

blaar Member

Super. Thnx for all your hard work and I am sure the new joints will be super. Making the shoulder and elbow joints was easy.

I am almost done with the test build. Just need to build the 6 toe pieces tonight and then assemble all the loose bit and ends. Hope to post a pic for you tomorrow.

Once again. Superb work. The mauler looks awesome and I think it is your best work till date. Don't get me wrong, your other models are very, very good too. I think I am just a Mauler fan :)

Can't wait to see this in the WarPaint skin.
  16. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Thanks Blaar, your building is also very good, can't wait to see it ended.
  17. blaar

blaar Member

Finally finished my beta build of the Mauler. And so ....... here it is.

Stood upright with no problems. Perfectly balanced and I was able to twist the torso and move the arms in any way and the model did not once fall over. Great work shift.

Attached Files:

18. blaar

blaar Member

Here is a pic of the Mauler with a front, side and rear view.

Ps. Sorry about the hex base. It doesn't look good but I just had to make something for the mauler cause it just look so awesome.

Attached Files:

19. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looks great Blaar! I'm going to have to try some of those!
  20. blaar

blaar Member

Oh, and ...

Attached Files: