Mechanically operated turn-outs?

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Instead of using electrically operate remote turn-outs, does anyone have info on mechanically operating them with a push-rod type device under the lay-out, or perhaps a cable in a housing or some type of arrangement?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
There are lots of options here. www.humpyard.com makes an interesting "protoypical" lever that connects via a choke-cable type arrangement. There have also been articles in MR about how to do this, even including a small electricl switch for those turnouts with electro-frogs.

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Wire-in-tube is a popular English method. They have supplies of the stuff, but I couldn't get it when I needed it. They also have miniature (not scale) signal box levers to operate it.
The wire and tube that aeroplane modellers use should work. A slight bend will make the tube hold the wire more stiffly. I use similar methods to connect switch machines when I can't get near the switch. Stich a knob on the end or melt it into a plastic thumb tack.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One other possibility for turnouts near the front of the bench work is to use Peco turnouts. They have a spring on the points. You can just use your finger to move the points. As soon as the spring goes over center, it snaps the points to the other position.