Mecha Tricks: Compound Curves and Sturdy Feet

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Geeze, for a surfboard, I highly would recommend structural foam, which sands much better and is used in airplanes wings for real aircraft. Aircraft Spruce and Specialty suppplies this. I have a big hunk from an airplane I started to build when I was a pilot but had to give up. This site is just plane awesome!: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/

Kjev, do you not have a printer/ I only ask because people give them to me, and usually it's just clogged heads. If you have one and it is not printing right, I can probably help you get it going. I am a state licensed Electronic Technician (whooey!). :)
Oh hey Zathros! I was looking at this thread about making smooth curves and saw that you are an Electronic Technician! I just booted my old (purchased in 2012) Kodak printer to the curb. It just wouldn't print the black ink properly. It would print fine on the left, then halfway through it would fade out. Fairly new cartridge and printhead. So - got rid of it and bought a new HP printer. So far so good. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I tend to stick to Epson, but H.P. is like the "Father" of printers, so good luck. I hope it uses Pigment ink! Sounds like the Black Cartridge Nozzle was partially blocked, and the blockage would block when the ink reached a certain point, depends on the nozzle design. Warm water flushed though the nozzle with a plastic hobby syringe, and piece of rubber tube that fits on the nipple the pieces the ink cartridge, Nozzle cleaner, (or a tiny drop of dish detergent in a larger bottle) shake, but not stirred, then put into a syringe, after being heated really war, almost hot, will clean out the nozzle, drip over everything else, and drive the ink to the bottom of the printer, where the rest of excess ink goes. I've kept my Epson WorkForce 1100 13" x 19" printer alive, and that printer when last available was almost $700 bucks. I paid $140.00 for it on a one day sale. I literally stole that printer, and it uses all Pigment Archival Ink. They all crap out at some point thought. :)

I might try to clean it - that's what I did last time I had problems. But hey, the HP prints way better, so that'll work. And type of ink? Welllllll, the black is pigmented, and the color is dye based. So - can't do the water trick on the curving. *sigh*

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Well, HP basically designed the modern printers, and I know the guy who designed the printer heads, he is a fantastic person, a member here, but out of respect, I will not name him, but that gives HP the lead. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My new printer is an HP Officejet 8715. I got it 11 days sgo. So far I haven't had any big problems with it. It works incredibly fast (the prints are literally shot out of it) and the duplex feature is a marvel. It turns the pages automatically so you don't have to do it. Oh boy, no scanning issues any longer after my old 6700 was swallowing dust! I have already printed a new kit for a colleague at work who is going to leave before X-mas, so I'll be showing you some pictures of the printing quality soon. :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I was gifted a Canon Pixima TS3122, cheap from Black Friday sale, probably less the $20 USD... Ink will cost more then the printer.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I might try to clean it - that's what I did last time I had problems. But hey, the HP prints way better, so that'll work. And type of ink? Welllllll, the black is pigmented, and the color is dye based. So - can't do the water trick on the curving. *sigh*

You can, if you don't use a lot of moisture. Better to do the form, the laminate a thing sheet water formed over the the finished substrate surface.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I was gifted a Canon Pixima TS3122, cheap from Black Friday sale, probably less the $20 USD... Ink will cost more then the printer.
They do have a ink pack on Amazon ( INK4WORK) 4 for each color and 4 Black and 4 Photo Black ... cost about 20$. See if they have a pack for your printer.