ME P.1110 'Ente'

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by eric_son, Mar 12, 2008.

1. eric_son

eric_son Member

Hanging around the Tutorials and the Designer's Corner forums inspired me enough to set aside my "to-build" list and take a stab at designing. :)

After doing some window shopping at the Luft'46 site, I picked what I thought would be an easy model to sink my teeth in -- the ME P.1110 Ente (or Duck). It's basically just a cylinder with wings on it.

Here are some pics of the alpha build with a hastily applied texture job.

I used MetaLE and Pepakura for this.

I still have a lot to learn... especially about making formers and wing spars of which my model has none.

I think I also need to reduce the polygons. Hehehe... Pepakura threw up when I imported my mesh.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Nice job! I love Luft46' craft too.
  3. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Love it! Nice job. Are you planning on making this one available, in PDF or Jpeg? I've started a collection of Luft '46 papercraft. Hate to miss this one!
  4. Gainer

Gainer Member

V-tail option? NICE
  5. eric_son

eric_son Member

Thanks for the encouragement.
    I'll strive to improve the design of this as I continue to learn and develop skills in Meta (or maybe Sketchup). I need to add formers to this, and also improve the textures.

If (or rather when) I finish this, I'll upload this as a PDO (Pepakura) file to preserve the vector details. You can then use the free reader/printer to print it out.

RE: V-Tail
    I don't think this model had a V-Tail option -- Messerschmitt Me P.1110 "Ente" Luft '46 entry

You must be referring to the P.1110/II (Messerschmitt Me P.1110/II Luft '46 entry)

Anyway.. sure! If I finish this, the P.1110/II would seem like a nice logical next step. :)
  6. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Or not. That's what I was afraid of. Being a mac user, it's frustrating that the Pepakura viewer is unavalable for macs. ...sigh....
  7. eric_son

eric_son Member

Sorry to hear that.
    In that case, I can always save as image file. :)
  8. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I'd love to get a copy of this one any way I can!
  9. eric_son

eric_son Member

Revision 2

I made a couple of big moderate level modifications to my Ente mesh. My goals are to:
    1. Simplify the overall design of the wings and rudder.
    2. Dump the ridiculously hard to assemble nacelle and use a simpler design. :oops:
    3. Add some reference points to help align the wings and rudder during assembly.

As you can see here, the nacelles are much more simple. And it unfolds very well under Pepakura.
    I've also reduced the number of vertices at the wing tips to give Pepakura an easier time with drawing the joining flaps.

I've also added exhausts.

I still have no idea how to properly make formers and wings spars. So for now, this is what I came up with.

Time to break out the scissors, cutters and glue!
  10. eric_son

eric_son Member

Build #2

It took a bit of an effort to 'fix' the way Pepakura unfolded the model.
    Also, I made a mistake by using Pepakura's glue tabs. This caused some fitting problems especially in the small parts.

I should have made my own joining strips instead.

I do hope that the next version of Pepakura has a feature to output joining strips instead of having just plain old tabs.

Anyway, I'm still happy with the build.
    The simpler version of the nacelles were much easier to assemble than the first version. And it looks a whole lot better too!

Time to start the texturing.
  11. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I agree, the nacelles look much cleaner now! Nice work! Are you planning on adding any weathering?
  12. bclemens

bclemens Member

Nice job!
    Yes, Pepakura is "different" :cool:
    I'm finding that it takes lots of "playing" to learn to make it do what you want.
    Very nice model.:thumb:
  13. eric_son

eric_son Member

Weathering is nice. Unfortunately, I still don't have the skills to produce convincing wear and tear conditions on the textures. For now I'll have to settle with out-of-the-factory mint condition. When I build enough skills, I'll definitely add weathering.

Yeah, Pepakura requires a lot of attention to get it to do what you want. What I dislike is its ability to unfold surfaces that have edges attached to the edges of two or more surfaces (T-section or cross section). It produces those annoying RED warning lines.

Anyway, I'm almost done with texturing. I've opted to use the 81/82 over 76 scheme instead of the original gray scheme (74/75 over 76) that I used for my alpha build.

For the insignias, I used the JV7 with the Defense of the Reich band. :)

I can't find info on the proportions of the German cross and the hakenkreutz so I just made a guess. I hope it's correct.

I've also added cavities for the Mk103 30mm canons as well as the small bottom tail fin.

Now I'll try to work on adding landing gear bays and landing gears.

14. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

great job eric!
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Another great designer is born!!
  16. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

This one just gets better and better! I really like your choice on the color scheme as well. Well done!
  17. newcomer

newcomer Member

any updates ?
  18. eric_son

eric_son Member

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've already unrolled the textured model and started doing the build....3 weeks ago.

Unfortunately, my 7 month old daughter had other plans. At that same time frame, she decided to start waking up at 4AM to begin her day. Eventually, my internal body clock got all messed up. By the time I get home from work, I feel so tired that I usually have enough energy to play with my daughter for a bit, brush my teeth and call it the day.

Anyway, I'll get it done one of these days. :)

19. eric_son

eric_son Member

Some progress!

Before performing the unroll, I decided to dabble in landing gear creation. :)
  20. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Landing gear? That's great. This is turning into an even better model! Feel free to add a cockpit interior while you're at it!:thumb:
    This looks very good, Eric.