MDCRoundhouse rolling stock?

Sir_Tainly

Jan 15, 2003
Cambridge, England
Visit site
Be aware while the details on the models are good, the paint schemes are not always prototypical. If you want prototype stuff, check before you buy for example I have MDCs DRGW HiCube boxcars and SP DoubleStack single cars neither of which existed and now have to be repainted if I want to keep close to reality.

Simon

Belmarvalley

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I have a fair amount of the MDC boxcar & gondola kits. They may still be clearing them out at $3.75 each on their website. I’ve found them to be a great value, and the detail is decent. However, I think the trucks and couplers are pretty much junk and it would be best to replace them entirely with MT’s. I’ve also had good luck with the 70T RB Accumates – so long as you don’t run them in long trains.

Whether or not you would consider them toy-like depends upon your standards. I personally think they are pretty good, and look even nicer after they are weathered. Here are a couple shots so you can judge for yourself:

abo.sized.jpg

aei.sized.jpg

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I had several MDC N scale freight cars before selling them-a mistake.These are nice cars..As far as being accurate that is a choice YOU must make base on YOUR modeling standards.As for me I do not worry about such needless things since 90%(or more) modelers doesn't know the difference and in some cases don't care.After all its just a hobby to be enjoyed by one's modeling standards based on his/her given and druthers. :thumb: :D

C

Catt

Micro-Trains car are almost as accurate as the Roundhouse cars and a whole lot more expencive. :D

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
John,I could not agree more..I sometimes wonder if the MT cars are really worth the price when you compare them with cars from Atlas,MDC,IM LBF and Red Caboose.

alphanumeric

Jun 6, 2004
I am a newbie to the hobby .. and have also noticed the high prices MT cars, they are like 15-25bux each!!!!!!!!!

I refuse to pay anymore then about 5-10bux each car.

its really funning seeing a 50ft flatcar N scale.. for 20bux.. or a tiny 70ton ore car.

Grantha

Apr 8, 2004
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I really like my MDC/Roundhouse tank cars. They look great to me.

Makes one wonder though if this is the end of the line for reasonably priced N scale cars with MDC/Roundhouse being sold?

Jay Gould

Aug 16, 2003
syracuse
Visit site
MICRO-TRAINS is made in USA

One thing to keep in mind about the expensiveness of MT cars---they're made in the U.S., so payrolls are a lot higher than they are for Atlas, for example, which has their cars produced in China nowadays. I just mention this because it might help people to understand about prices. ---Jim W.