MDC Shay Tweeks

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
Hi all,

I haven't forgotten about sending out the MDC Shay tweeks mentioned a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I have been very busy at the income segment of my life and haven't had a chance to clean up my notes for all to understand. I'll have a couple of weeks off during the holidays and will catch up then.
Ray, Drew and others, thank for your patience.

Of course, I will also have a chance to post more photos, etc. :D :D :D :D :wave: :cool: :thumb: :rolleyes:

Marc

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
No Problem

Take your time Marc.

I have the same problem with "the income portion of my life interferring with my life"!!:mad: :mad:

And then when we finally get some info, we won't have any time to spend on putting it to use:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing more pics of that railtruck. Is it powered? I have built some of the Jordan kits, and they would be excellent if I could convert them to a 'Mac-goose' or something:cool: :cool:

Drew

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
Shay Tweeks

Sounds like the holiday's en of the year issues interferring with priorities in the hobby world! LOL

Not sure where one of the HO kits can be powered; not alot of room, etc. Possibly using a NWSL Flea II set-up.

Happy Holidays,

Marc :thumb:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
If you just want it to run around the track once in a while, a bachman gandy dancer is a good cheap power unit, after an LPB-ectomy. I don't think you would want to use one for a real loco. I used one in a 15 ton Mack, and it actually pulls a couple of cars on level track.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
The other, slightly larger, option is a truck out of the old (out of stock) bachmann twin motor 44 tonner. The newer one won't work. The problem with this is it's a fairly weak design, and they are getting expensive on e-bay. Lucky to get one good truck out of a pair. We even had one truck die to worn gears in a "new in box" one from e-bay, so don't buy that song!

The gandydancers went up to $15 ea. at trainworld.com, but I believe they have them in stock again. Their operational weakness is only one axle driven, so traction is poor. They want to go a couple hundred miles per hour if you have an old "rheostat" power pack, but a taillight bulb across the output solves that.

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
Jordan Railtruck

All,

The 44 toner is way too large of a nuit to power an HO plasctic Jordan kit. Never thought of the Gandy Dancer, however, still may be too large. I remembered that "Pager" motors can be used for such powering units. These would need some voltage reduction circuits included as they run on 1.5 volt batteries.

Thanks,

Marc :thumb:

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
MDC Shay Tweaks Update

All,

I have my MDC shay tweaks information updated in readable format, pics, etc. I owe a couple of you the information. Everyone else whom would like the info, please let me know.
You won't find these in the Shay Upgrade book.

Thanks,

Marc

Hello Marc,

I have a couple of MDC shays on my layout that belong to one of my (operators?) and would be very interested in tips to improve them. Currently they have both been dismantled for the second attempt at painting, incorrect preparartion caused the first paint job to fall off, so any improvements would be timely and welcome.

Thanks.