MDC Galloping goose Kit

camelot

Any body made up this kit , i have finally got one and have a spare Climax/box car chassis to motorize it.

Any hints and pictures would be a great help.

Cheers

Ian

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Ian,
I have the kit, but as yet haven't done anything with it. Needs a lot of work just to make a Goose front. You will have to scratchbuild the front. Unless your kit came with one.
Shamus
wink.gif

camelot

I believe the front engine cover is made using some of the roof from the shorter box car , it seems reasonably straight forward .The cab though seems to be a lot of cutting and glueing to make it. The powered version instructions seem to be a little vague as well :-(

I like some of the alternatives on one of the instruction sheets , they are shorter and generally look a lot better than the standard version .

This will be my next HO kit after finishing my Bunkhouse i am building at the moment , and i have been volunteered to make a class A climax dummy in Nn3

Cheers

Ian

camelot

Goose Start

Just starting making my kitbashed MDC Galloping goose . here is a pic of the components as they stand at the moment.The drive mechanism is an old MDC climax chasis with the rear wheels only.I have remotored it with a new can motor.

Attachments

• goose1.jpg
    goose1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 177

camelot

The main body was made from a Box car , i cut roughly in half . added an end to the cut section , i will have to trim this to fit over the powered chasis....

Attachments

• goose2.jpg
    goose2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 166

camelot

The passenger/cab is made from a Box cab diesel body that came in the kit.I have elected to make this around ½ the lenght as indiciated in the instructions as i wanted a more compact design for the railcar.This side shown was removed from another section of the cab and then glued here to match the other sides profile.

Attachments

• goose3.jpg
    goose3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 166

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Ian, Thats looking excellent so far, what motor did you use to exchange for the MDC one.

Shamus

camelot

I used a motor that i got off ebay from America , cost arround $5 US , i can't compare them to anything else except the open MDC motors that come with the shay/climax ,they are a little quieter .

The motor generally runs better and smoother

My climax still sounds like a coffee grinder though , even after cleaning the gears and replacing the motor :(

My shay is much quiter with the new can motor but i think most of that comes from cleaning the gears .

Heres the url for the ebay can motors
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3114366374&category=484

So hows the climax B kitbash coming ?

:D

Ian