Mazinger Z Paper Model Trial Build

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, Figurines & Paperdolls' started by gian7675, May 21, 2007.

1. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Hi guys and greetings from the Philippines!

A fellow paper craft enthisuast (Hans) pointed me to and I'm really enjoying my stay here.

Lots of beautiful Paper Craft Models that I never new existed and expertly

Anyway, just wanted to share my very first paper Craft Model that I'm working's a very noob built but it's my way of trying to figure out techniques before building the original paper model.

A few years ago I bought this from a local hobby store.

I got transfered from Manila to Cebu City (Qeen City of the South) and decided to bring it along with me because I have no TV, DVD player or PC. Mazinger Z paper Craft Model

Since I had nothing to do here in Cebu except twiddle my fingers, I thought that it's time to make this guy but I have to practice first.

The Mazinger Z Paper Craft Model is supposed to be 1/40 scale and should stand at 70cm. Mazinger Z's Jet Scrander's wingspan is 67cm.

I don't want to build the actual Paper Model Kit yet because it's when i bought it years ago and it's now out of production. One mistake and goodbye paper kit forever :(.

So, I decided to build a copy of the said Paper model kit. Not satisfied with the height, I had it enlarged to A3 for my personal use and have completed around 40% of Mazinger Z. :D

I made the mistake of getting it printed in black and white and on cheap ordinary paper (I'm having regrets now so the result is a crumpy looking Mazinger Z and one that gets crupled easily when handled. Next time I'll make it a cardboard type of paper. Mazinger Z looks like he came from a battle royal of sorts :(

Mistakes...mistakes...anyway, We need them in order to grow! ;)

Head Shot

Head shot without Hover Pilder

Another Head Shot

Hover Pilder. The Hover Pilder really looks wasted. Stupid paper was crumpling all around...sigh!

Mazinger Z: "Are you looking at me?"

Right now I'm cutting the multiple "triangles" on the Legs and feet parts. I'll post again when they get attached.

Anyway, comments and suggestion will be greratly appreciated :)

Mazinger Z Series on TV Intro
  2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Wow!! That's just regular bond paper??? [​IMG] You're good.....

Can't wait to see your work in card stock!!!
  3. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Thnaks for the very kind words :)

Yup, it's just regular bond paper...that'swhy it's crumply sigh!

Once I finish this I'll make it cardboard and on a bigger size :grin:
  4. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

i agree with MOS95B its a very good build. makes me want to start my own one but alas i have to many i am building already...
  5. gian7675

gian7675 Member

New update:

I came home at 4am and decided to put together the parts for the Hips, Legs and Feet.

Darn parts are still crumpling from when I hold them...sigh!

Here are the pics :)

Legs and feet

I'm too sleepy to glue them all together so I'll just do it tomorrow :twisted:

Got to sleep anyway yaaawn!
  6. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Update 5-27-06

Anyway, here are some sneak peaks of the almost finished Trial Mazinger Z build. I'm currently making the hands and fingers now so by tomorrow hopefully, I'll be finished making one hand and the other in a few days time ;).

Though I still haven't pasted the head, neck, body, hips and legs together but i couldn't resist the temptation of putting them together... and here he is! Tadaah!

Mazinger Z (without hands...sigh!)

Here's a scale comparison...pardon my using of a non-paper model referrence to judge the scale (anyway, what's that cube thing that I see alongside Card/paper models when other builders picture their builds for scale referrence?) I'm using a 1:24 Transformers Alternator Skidz ;D

Here's TF Skidz alongside the Hover Pilder

TF Skidz: What a puny little vehicle!Koji Kabuto in Hover Pilder: "Puny eh? We'll see about that..." Hover Pilder flies off...

Here's TF Skidz behind Mazinger's feet

TF Skidz: Where did that puny Hover Pilder go?

Here's Puny TF Skidz under the shadow of Mazinger Z's full height :D

TF Skidz: Gulp....

And finally, here's puny TF Skids under the scrutiny of Mazinger Z

Koji Kabuto in Mazinger Z: "So who's puny now little TF?

TF Skidz: Gulp...

Anyway, I'm not sure if the enlarged Mazinger Paper Craft model is the same/close to/slightly larger than 1:24 but I'll find out soon enough when i find a tape measure and see Mazinger Z's full height :)

Anyway, more updates along the coming days ;D
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Wow! that is super - especially if you are just using plain old paper! Cant you get any heavier stuff? You will really like it :)
  8. gian7675

gian7675 Member

I'll be making this guy into cardboard once I've finished this paper one..and once Ive saved a lot of money. Having an enlarged colored version of this guy is quite expensive.

Once I start on the cardboard version, I'll be also making him with limited articulation. The mazinger Z Paper Craft has a simple way of making his head move sideways, shoulders move up and down, arms, hands, legs, feet rotate. Unfortunately when I tried to incorporate this in this paper one, the connected portions were tearing each other apart so i had to abandon the articulating feature :( . Anyway, that's for Mazinger Z Model version 2.0 :)

I'll just keep the original Mazinger Z Paper Craft. It's definitely hard to come by another copy if I built this one...and I like the bigger version better :-D
  9. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Update: 5-29-07

My build on the hands slowede down for the moment because my work schedule was changing from 10pm-6am and then 2pm-10pm the next day sigh so i was catching up on some sleep.

Anyway, here are some pics of the right hand that I was able to finish the other day.

Again, this is my first time in building a paper model so please pardon the shabby workmanship :(

Pics of the whole hand assembly :)

10. dinsour

dinsour Member

Holy Cow, that has to be the biggest paper model I'v ever seen. He is big enough that you could put him in the passenger seat and use the car pool lane on the free way. :wink:
    No wonder that thing is out of production. Most modelers hate to part with their builds when they are finished, but if they built on that scale, they would have to rent a warehouse to store their finished models.
    By the way, welcome to the group. Hope to see more of your efforts.

--------------73 Ron
  11. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Thanks for the welcome! :grin:

Actually he's probably as big as a small child :)

The original size of the actual kit is smaller, I just enlarged the original pages (which is the size of an ordinary business letter to A3 size. The original kit's finished height is 70cm. This enlarged one height I'm not sure of yet because I still haven't found a tape measure.

On a side note, I'm actually planning to make this guy even bigger...probably adult size if I can find an economical/cheap...but this time on a sturdy/strong cardstock material :twisted:

EDit: Finally found the tape measure. This guy's height measures 96.5 CM I wonder how big I can make him :twisted:
  12. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Update 6-01-07

Finally finished the hands and glued them on Mazinger Z. Yay!

Edit: This is weird, in Photobucket, the images should be like Mazinger Z is standing but here on the forums, he's still on his side.

Looking up at Mazinger Z from

Mazinger Z robot finally finished! Now, all i have to do is the Jet Scrander. This is Mazinger Z's back pack so that he can fly :)

13. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Well hi there Fokker!!! Hehehe!!!

I've finally found your thread!!!

Nice work there!!!

Hans :-D
  14. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Update 6-6-07

Hi ya Hans!

Thanks! I forgot to tell you that I use gian7675 here instead of Fokker :grin:

Anyway, it's the final strtch and all the pices are complete!

I've finally finished the Jet Scramder, the backpack with wings that attaches to Mazinger Z to make him fly :)

Jet Scramder with belt

I apologize for the crumpling again...paper is really so fragile sigh!

Jet Scramder with Hover Pilder

Mazinger Z with belt on :) Crumpling again...sigh! A slight touch and his chest crumpled =(

Unfortunately...the Jet Scamder was kind-off heavy and it's tearing off the flimsy paper that I used (stupid me for using cheap materials sigh) :( when I tried to attach it to Mazinger Z's back.

I'll try to go back to the XEROX enlarger and have the belt done in Cardstock...the only piece in this build actually made from cardstock...which in the first place I should have started with sigh!

Final picture to be shown soon! (I hope) :)
  15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well, even with the crumples, he looks darn good!8)
    I think you have done a great job, as this model would actually be harder to make with regular thickness paper, than it would be with card!
    On top of that, I give you even more credit for keeping on with the build even though your having crumpling going on!
    That dedication goes a long way in this hobby!
    Your also gaining build experience and learning as you move along.

Kudos to you for not giving up and making a nice looking model!:grin:

16. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Thanks for the kind words :oops:

Anyway, I think I can still remove the crumpling,,,i'll gonna expriment on something to pull them back into positoon :)

...and do some little (or rather extensive) cosmetic surgery on him :grin:
  17. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Even with crumples this one looks menacing!!!

Just practice pal, in the end you'll be able to eliminate crumples completely :-D
  18. dinsour

dinsour Member

Actually the crumbles make him look like a battle hardened vetran. It adds a certain realizem to him. Kind of makes you want to see what the other guy looks like. Just scattered pieces I suspect. :roll:
    Some of the armor guys go to great length to add battle damage to their models. Add a couple of burn marks and a few loose pieces to his armor and it will look as if he just finished battling a formedable opponent.

I also admire your ability to not give up when things get hard.

--------73 Ron :wink:
  19. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Great build!!! What else can I say apart from that?
  20. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Update *06-08-07*

Again thanks to all the members that gave praise to my first card/paper model :)

And now....Mazinger Z with jet Scramder on! :grin: I was able to finally attach the big heavy Jet Scramder onto his back :)

Front view

I kind of like the Jet Scramder's design and view from this perspective

Human's eye view from below :)

Human perspective from the front :)

Mazinger looking at viewer :twisted:

Anyway, theoretically the build is finished but I'm not satisfied until I elimiate some (if not all) of the crumpling. As the other members have metioned, the crumpling did make Mazinger Z kind of a unique piece of model :)

I'll just do some re-touching of the faded black ink colors. The Zerox machine faltered when enlarging this kit from the original copies thus producing some streaks of white here and there on the enlarged version.