1. Ladies & gentlemen, I would like to announce that there is a new photo gallery section. You can create your own personal photo gallery (to include setting up your own albums). You can even post videos. You can also post and share photos in the galleries of others (if that person allows such), as well . ENJOY!!!

"Mayberry" Squad Car??

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by dhanners, May 1, 2005.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Does anyone know if there's an early '60s ('61, '62, etc.) Ford Galaxie model done up in the markings of the police squad car from "The Andy Griffith Show"?

If so, I'd appreciate a heads-up. Thanks.
    David Hanners
    St. Paul, MN
  2. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

Actually the Mayberry Fords are NOT Galaxies. They are the Large Full-size car, but the 60 & 61 are Fairlanes. and the rest are all Customs, because these were Not luxury cars but Fleet sedans.

But Sorry I have not heard of any being made in paper. I wou8ld love to see them too!!
    I don't even know of any full-size American sedans being done except the 2 Blues Brothers Dodges.
  3. KeithW

KeithW New Member

Have to disagree. The Mayberry Ford of '63 and '64 is indeed a Galaxie. Not sure about the other years.
    [​IMG]
  4. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

Tons of paper car models here: http://genius.x0.com/pmdirectory/ unfortunately, there is now ford galaxy like you are asking about, but there are other fords.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  5. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

KeithW... I know they LOOK like Galaxies. But in truth the cars are Customs.
    The Base level trim on teh largest body Ford produced fir those years.
    I like your piture, but that is Obviously a REPLICA of the 64 Mayberry Ford and thus the builder did just what most do. They find the Galaxie thinking it is correct. But Wathc the show and lokk at the cars Closely. The Chrome on the Front fender and rear doors/fender are NOT on the car in the show.

ON a similar note I was talking to the owner of a 69 Road Runner about finding a 69 Belvedere to make an ADAM-12 car, he said that those Fleet sedans are more rare than the Road Runner!
    So I suspect the same is true about Ford's Fleet sedan the. Custom.

GEEDUBBYA, I have checked that list. I did see 1 Galaxie, But it is a Euopean MiniVan! Most of the rest are Pick-Ups, other Trucks, Mustang's But Nothing close to a 4 door sedan.

I think sone one here will have to design a sample for those of us here that want a Mayberry Sherriff's Ford.

While I am here, What happened to Ford's Heritage Museum series of Mustangs??
  6. KeithW

KeithW New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Galaxie was available with out the chrome on the side.
  7. KeithW

KeithW New Member

[​IMG]
    Gosh, Paw. What's so hard to understand? It's a GALAXIE.

[​IMG]
    Well, son, some folks are just hardheaded.

[​IMG]
    We've got to nip this in the bud! I'm going out to the GALAXIE squad car and drive over to see the easy girls in Mt. Pilot.

[​IMG]
    Gosh Barny, can I come along?

[​IMG]
    Now just hold on. Your aunt B will be mighty disappointed to find out you've been running around in our GALAXIE squad car with loose girls, Opie.

[​IMG]
    Gosh Paw, I promise to use protection.

[​IMG]
    Welllll, I guess it'll be alright, just make sure your home for supper.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Funnn Eeee!
  9. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

If we had a "Post of the Week" I think you'd have IT nipped in the bud!
    :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
  10. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

The large picture with Barney is obviously a 'Doctored' photo.--Notice the difference in color of Barney (Yellowing) versus the rest of the pic., The shadow in the Right side front window. And Andy in the barber's chair with Floyd is Not a correct reflection. Again Matches the Yellowing of Barney And TOO clear.

The 2 smaller shot are another 63, But notice this one has the Lower Chrome while the large picture is an 500 with the lower chrome removed.

There is a resin kit offered of the 63 Ford Custom 4 door sedan Mayberry sherriff's car. $49.50 + s/h. Use the AMT/Ertl '63 Galaxie 500XL Sportroof for chassis,ETC.

You put pictures from the show on here, find some showing the car.
  11. KeithW

KeithW New Member

yea, I've been trying, but so far haven't found a good clear photo of the car in the show.

You keep calling this car a "custom". You do realize that the full name is "Galaxie 500 custom" don't you. Why split hairs? Ford also made the F-150 in several trim levels and, for example, one of the trim levels in '66 was called "custom". but it was STILL an F-150. I guess I just don't understand your whole argument. Why do you insist on saying the car is NOT a Galaxie?
  12. KeithW

KeithW New Member

Found this on the web. says the Custom trim level was introduced in the 1965 model year:

A different Ford Galaxie was introduced by Ford in 1960, then an entirely different model from the Ford Fairlane. It featured a new sleek look which was a lot different from the aerodynamic look that the Ford Fairlane had. In the following year, the Ford Galaxie became the only full-size car offered by Ford, and this lasted until 1964. During this period, the Ford Galaxie was available in three trim levels: Galaxie, Galaxie 500 and Galaxie 500XL. Also in this period, Ford created a race car version of the Galaxie equipped with a 7 liter engine that outputs 600 hp of power.

In 1965, the Ford Galaxie was given a new aggressive look, dropping the sleek styling of the early 1960s. The Ford Custom was also introduced the same year, joining the Ford Galaxie in Ford’s line-up of full-size cars. The Ford Custom became the base model while the Ford Galaxie was sold in three trim levels including the previous Galaxie 500 and 500XL trims plus the luxury Galaxie 500LTD trim.
  13. KeithW

KeithW New Member

Couple of photos of 1964 Ford Galaxie Custom:
    [​IMG]

Don't know if you can read the caption from the sales brochere, but is lists the price of the Custom 500 at $2453 for the two door and $2507 for a four door.
    [​IMG]

So maybe we're both right. The Ford Custom is just a stripped down Ford Galaxie. Yes?
  14. KeithW

KeithW New Member

[​IMG]
    Well, son, have we learned a lesson today?

[​IMG]
    Sure, Pa, I learned if you don't have all the facts, just throw up a bunch of downloaded pictures and try to confuse everybody with lazy research and inconsistant data.

[​IMG]
    ANDY! Are you gonna just stand there and listen to that? What kind of future is Opy gonna have if these are the kinds of lessons he's learnin?

[​IMG]
    Well, Barn, the way I figure it, He's got a bright future in Politics.
  15. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

That is what I was saying. I thought the Custom series started when the Fairlane became a Mid-sized car in '62. I do know that in '60 and '61,the Fairlane was a Full size car using the same sheet metal as the Galaxie.( I had a chance to buy a '61 Fairlane[in-line 6 cylinder]{might have been a 500},but had NO money at the time). This Started in '59 when the Galaxie was introduced as the Top level trim on the Fairlane 500. Look at one. You will see the Fairlane 500 rear trim piece connecting the backup lights. I knew the Mayberry Sherrif cars were the base or lowest level trim available for each year.
    Yes it is hard to find a clear shot of the car in most episodes.
    But there should be at least one for each season.

As for the XL package, That was Bucket seats and center Console. and I think that started with the '63 model year.
    Of the pictures so far, the with 2 door '64 is closet to what was used in the series. Just all were 4 doors.

Though slightly off topic on Paper models of these cars, I think we are all learning more about them. Maybe we should try to design a couple??

From 'Standard Catalog of American Cars '46-'75 Base to deluxe trim for '61: Fairlane, Fairlane 500, Galaxie
    For '62, base to deluxe: Galaxie, Galaxie 500, Galaxie 500 XL (Wrong guess above)
    For '63. Base to deluxe 300, Galaxie, Galaxie 500, Galaxie 500 XL
    The 300 would have been Andy's Squad car!
    for '64: Custom, Custom 500,Galaxie 500, Galaxie 500 XL
    Here I was correct! Custom!!
    This line up continued on with the LTD added in '68 model year
    Custom 500 was dropped for '70 model year, otherwise....and XL apears to be dropped for '71 model year.

Why didn't I look this up earlier??
  16. jasco

jasco Member

You guys are KILLER! I now know more about the sheriff's car than I ever wanted, but wait 'til I get back to work and wow the rest of the boys with this tidbit! 8v) Thanks for an informative and entertaining thread. BTW, I think it's spelled "Opie", although sometimes Andy would call him "Ope" (silent e). I also noticed Barney would call Andy "Ange" (also silent e) in some of the later episodes.
    Citizen's arrest, Citizen's arrest!
    Sincerely, someone who spent WAY too much time watching this show.
  17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Active Member

I have to jump in here. I've owned both of these cars and I can tell you it's a GALAXIE!

The Fairlane is an intermediate and the Galaxie is a full sized sedan.

I used to race a 66 Fairlane, it is a unibody and the Galaxie is a full frmed car, with the wheel base osf a TRUCK!

I have a 65 Galaxie I'm resotring and 61 is up on blocks.

Trust an old motorhead. It's a Galaxie.
  18. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

CJTK1701, before your time, in 59 60 & 61. The full size car was both Fairlane & Galaxie.
    Before 59,The Fairlane-500 Was the top-of-the-line for Ford.
    During the 59 model year Ford Added the 'Galaxie' to the line as an option on the Fairlane 500!!
    I almost BOUGHT a 4-door 59 Galaxie. It had the Fairlane 500 badge on the trunk!(the middle # '0' was the key slot to open the trunk!

The Mid-size Fairlane body did not debut until 1962!
    I stand by my last post. It was taken from 'Standard Catalog of American Automobiles 1946-1975'
    This info is DIRECT from manufacturers file!!!

Yes in 66 The Fairlane was a Unibody while the Full-size Custom-Galaxie was still Body-on-Frame LIKE a Truck, But still on a CAR frame!

Look for the book!!!!! 'Standard Catalog of American Automobiles 1946-1975'
    Buy it, Then get back to me!!!!
  19. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Whatever the heck it is, get someone to design it.
  20. KeithW

KeithW New Member

Dnlgtr is right CJTK1701. Both cars (the Galaxie and the Custom) are the exact same bodystyle, but the custom doesn't have the chrome down the side. Dnlgtr was right all along.