Maybe wrong topic, but...Sopwith Camels wings...

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Wily, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Wily

Wily Member

I bought a Sopwith Camel from cardmodel.

Anyway, the wings join at the leading edge...but I want a nice, curved edge rather than a sharp point.

How does a guy go about getting the leading edges to curve and join to a clean, straight edge?

Thank you in advance...
  2. The only way I know of is to scan your parts and cut and paste them so the leading edges join. Then print it out in one piece eliminating the joint all together. There is virtually no way of curving it to the rounded airfoil without the joint acting like a scored piece.

Another suggestion is to try reinforcing the joint on the back by laminating a heavier piece of card stock and then roll it. But the joint would have to be really dry before attempting it. But you will probably still end up with a crease of some sort at the joint but not as pronounced..
  3. exzealot

exzealot Member

I have never seen this condition before. This is what I would try: First, try and re-cut the leading edge lines and cut them at a back angle so that the graphics side of the paper is as thin as possible. Use a new blade).Then glue them to a very small dowel rod (approximately the radius dimension of the desired leading edge. Carefully glue the bottom skin to the dowel first, then glue the top skin and microscopically overlap it over the bottom skin.

Finally, you will have to modify the inner structure to accomodate the dowel. You will have the advantage of a nice and straight LE too.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this works. Experiment on regular paper FIRST!!!!

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Try this technique - it worked well on my p-40 and can be adapted here.... You will just need to make the internal formers yourself.

Make a former the same shape but a touch smaller than the tip of the wing tip you r rounding. Glue it about .75mm from the edge. put the top and bottom skins together as normal. Use a bit more glue than normal to soften the paper up and wrap it over that internal former. do the same for the top. Worked really well for this plane. There are some closeups in the thread...
  5. Wily

Wily Member

wow. Good suggestions all.

The dowel idea is clever - I can see it working brilliantly on large-scale planes.

The idea of redoing the art so that the joint is removed is a massive DUH! Well...DUH! Great idea!

cgutzmer's idea is of course, the proper craftsman's way. His skill is a bit beyond my squid-like appendages.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Actually it was my first ever attempt at doing that and i consider myself a medium level builder Its easier than it looks (by far) once you do it :)
  7. Wily

Wily Member

My choice - the dowel method. Spiritually, it's the same as cgutzmer's idea - the notion of changing the art didn't work as the design of the Camel's wing won't allow it. :(

I'll even post pics.
  8. exzealot

exzealot Member

I just thought of something... Caution... I was thinking a little deeper about the dowel idea. One of the problems could come later as you try and line up the trailing edge - the dowel may not allow you to adjust laterally without warping the wing. Therefore, I need to recommend that cgutzmer's method may be more viable. I can see it is much more forgiving, and his pictures show an absolutely perfect LE (not to mention his experience). I tend to throw out ideas before they are proven, but I guess that's what this forum is all about.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

9. Wily

Wily Member

kenl -

You're right - considering wings with tapering thickness and width. But this Camel is a somewhat uniform rectangle; the dowel will become the "former" that cgutzmer suggested.

<S> to both of you. :)