May 06, a contest without restrictions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
... well, maybe one little one.

We are trying our first ever contest by posting the entry pics in the Gallery. A new contest "category" has been set up right here. Posting there should be easy, but for those of you that aren't familiar, there is a new thread under the "Getting Started" forum that will explain how. Just click here to view this step-by-step. You do not need to set up a new category, just be sure when you do post, that the picture goes into the May contest category. Since this is a first, whenever someone posts a picture there, I will add (link) that picture to this thread so it can be viewed in either place. You may make comments on indvidual pictures right in the Gallery, or general comments in this thread.

Now for the contest requirements. Since this is a new way of doing things, it would be great to have everyone participate so for that reason, the contest is open to any kind of a picture that you want to post, be it train-related or not. A shot of the Grand Canyon when you were there on vacation, your kids playing in the swimming pool, anything at all that you'd like to enter, including of course, something relating to trains, scale or prototypical.

Now that you have no excuse to not enter, the rules,
  • The picture must have been taken by the person that enters.
That's it folks, just that it meets our guidlines for good taste...:D

Oh, and note that the allowable picture size for the Gallery is larger than for the forums. You are allowed to post a picture up to 800 x 600 pixels, and up to a 2 meg file size.

If you are having difficulty posting in the Gallery, let me know and I'll work with you. Please do not post pictures directly to this thread, that's my job for now...:wave: :wave:

Good luck.:thumb: When the voting thread is set up, we will add clickable thumbnails to the voting thread.:D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Here are the first few entries:

TrainNut
Oldbridge.jpg

caliban
GGSP.jpg

Ralph
real7_750968.jpg

chessie4155
495_834079.JPG

Dragon
DCP_0909.JPG

Jules Winnfield
bubbandit.jpg

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
nolatron said:
Oops. I uploaded 3 images, but didn't stop to think if we're limited to one entry or not.
Shaun,

Pick the one you like best and delete the other two. To delete an image, go to the full-szed image and in the upper right corner is a "image tools" menu. Just select "delete this image" and go for it. If you have any problems let me know and I can do it for you.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
nolatron said:
I don't have "Delete image", jsut "edit". If you can, jsut delete the two Amtrak entries I have.

Sorry about that. (contest newbie :))
Taken care of. :thumb: I'll look into this "delete image" thing since I thought it was enabled for everyone to be able to delete their own photos in the Gallery.:eek:ops:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
nolatron said:
I don't have "Delete image", jsut "edit". If you can, jsut delete the two Amtrak entries I have.

Sorry about that. (contest newbie :))
OK, I have enabled the capability for anyone to delete their entries in the Gallery photo contests. We have had several that have posted multiple entries or wanted to change their entry, you can now edit or delete them. To delete your entry, go to the "image tools" drop-down menu in the upper right corner of your picture window. Select "edit" from the menu and you have the option of changing you picture or there's a checkbox that will now allow you to delete your picture.

This makes it easier on us all. :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
We have some more entries. These I've set up as clickable links. Just click on the thumbnail image and you will be taken to the full-size picture in the Gallery along with the description and any comments:

eightyeightfan1:

nolatron:

Sir_Prize:

shaygetz:

Gary Pfeil:

Herc Driver:

Gil Finn:

ezdays:

oldtanker:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I've gotten a few comments on how I've been posting the pictures here, which is what I'm looking for, feeback. Anyway, I've changed the second batch of pictures so that they are clickable links rather than the full-size picture. The idea is that if I show the full-sized one, some people won't go to the Gallery to find out what the picture is of or to read or post comments.

Need more feedback, which method do you prefer the entries be displayed in this thread, the full-sized pictures or as clickable links?

Thanks, we'll get this working smoothly as soon as I know what works best.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
ezdays said:
These I've set up as clickable links. Just click on the thumbnail image and you will be taken to the full-size picture in the Gallery along with the description and any comments:
When I click on the thumbnail, I only get taken to a bigger picture on a blank screen, not the gallery with the description and any comments.
EDIT: Upon further experimentation, the last picture by oldtanker takes me to the gallery. However, that is the only one that does. I like this way.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
TrainNut said:
When I click on the thumbnail, I only get taken to a bigger picture on a blank screen, not the gallery with the description and any comments.
EDIT: Upon further experimentation, the last picture by oldtanker takes me to the gallery. However, that is the only one that does. I like this way.
Ooooppppss:eek:ops: stooges8 :eek:ops: try it now...:D

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi, I posted a pic to the gallery under this contest frame, but I don't see it here...????How do I go about getting it to show up here? I got a couple more I'd like to post (allowed??).

Gus (LC&P).

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
steamhead said:
Hi, I posted a pic to the gallery under this contest frame, but I don't see it here...????How do I go about getting it to show up here? I got a couple more I'd like to post (allowed??).

Gus (LC&P).
Only one allowed in this contest. You can post as many as you like if you set up a personal category under the main category.

How do they get here? For now I'll set up the pictures here. We are trying different ways since this is the first time we've used the Gallery for contests.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Got three more:

Here's steamhead's:

And emt49's:

And lastly, Buddog's

Keep 'em coming, lots of great entires so far:thumb: :thumb:

OK, we've got a couple more to add,

sumpter250