Mauser C96 auto pistol

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by Mousemuffins1, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

well, i'm going to start on Nothing's exellent mauser, despite the looming MP40 causing me to lose more sleep than I care to admit. I've posted this in the "Armor and Military Vehicles' category, as I think it should maybe be extended to include military equipment as well, and because I think that guns are a bit lost in the "everything else" category.

to start, nothing has modeled a later full auto version of the Mauser, and I want to back-date it to the original c96 standard. Incidently, the blaster used by Han Solo in starwars was a modified C-96. so I've had a good rumage about on the interweb for references and found loads of pictures showing the external differences between the two weapons.

Things that will need to be changed include:

Deletion of selector switch.
    deletion of magazine realease button (just a printed texture, so no effort required here).
    Remove the "step' between the magazine housing and grip frame.
    delete the magazine parts and redesign the magazine well to represent the fixed floor plate.
    Curve and bevel the front of the magazine well.
    Alter the depressions on the side of the trigger frame and add additional depressions at the back.
    add two milled slots to each side of the slide 'ears' (this could proove frustrating.. hope it turns out easier than expected...)
    and finally increase the number of grooves on the grip to about double.

...I thought it was going to be much simpler.............

Laminating has begun..............
  2. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

AAARRRGGG!!!!!!!!!! Deleted all my Work in Progress shots, didn't I ? :cry:

ah well, suffice to say I've done my usual job of maxilamination (tm) to achieve the following results:

I think I'll be screwing arround with the grip a bit longer, the grooves in the handle are a bit messy, and spoil the illusion a bit. Still, good practice for the MP40.

Oh, PS. It's 46 degrees outside. that'd be in modern metric numbers (celcimetres), not farenhoggsheads. about 114 for you ancient types.
  3. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Are you sure that shouldn't be in centifurlongs?

Nice work btw. I do enjoy watching your builds Mm.
  4. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

No, centrifurlongs are only used to measure the frequency of tintinnabulations.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Your carving this from wood??? I'm confused.
  6. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

no, it's all card so far, but alot of it is very thick laminations carved like wood. i've tried filing the grooves in the handle, but the card hasn't liked it much, so i'm thinking of carving it right back and adding spaced strips to try and get the effect I want.

I've got 1 WIP shot that didn't get deleted, so here it is,:

...not very useful, i'm afraid.(from an istructive point of view)

The side laminations are about 5mm thick, to allow for the curves around the trigger, and the grips are pretty much solid card board (no accidental squishyness here....)
  7. dkaniel

dkaniel Member

WOOD! I thought the picture was a resin model!! My god it is amazing what you can do with paper.
  8. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

On the grooves, an easier way to get the grooves even, is to get a papper trimmer and trim small strips to your desired width. fold and glue them together to the desired depth and then glue the strips on the handle. That would be better than trying to use your dremel and carving the grooves freehand. Other than that I love your works. I am also a laminating freak. Why mess with pesky little tabs, when lamininating will do.
  9. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

Yeah, I'm gonna carve them back, and cut some 2mm strips and lay them on. it's a bit disheartening when you have to do over.
  10. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member