Mattress box springs for layout?

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I have 4-5 of them in the other house next door. Two of them are the same size but I'm wondering how good of a layout they would make if they were stripped down and 1/2" plywood screwed down to them. I was even thinking that sense box springs are deep that the top could be used as a layout and the under bottom side used as rolling stock and locomotive storage. What do you guy's think of this idea? I do believe they are singles.

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
N scale and smaller would prob work good. But a twin size is smaller than 4x8, and prob not work too good for HO. N scale could prob handle the grade from top to bottom, about 4-6 inches?

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Thoroughbreed said:
N scale and smaller would prob work good. But a twin size is smaller than 4x8, and prob not work too good for HO. N scale could prob handle the grade from top to bottom, about 4-6 inches?

I'd have to agree. You could even throw in a helix and get between levels pretty easily.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Well the idea was to have the two box's together as one layout with a 5'x1' fiddle yard added on the side. Maybe there's one over there that bigger but the same size in depth. Because in this case bigger is always better ain't it? Yea, it's about 6-8" in dpth. I need to drag out the messurin' tape.