Matt acrylic varnish needs to be stirred, not just shaken

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Leif Oh, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Trivial as it may be, I evidently had to relearn this lesson: Matt acrylic varnish needs to be stirred from time to time, not just shaken.

I have been shaking the little tin religiously before using it, since I had already on previous occassions been shocked by the amount of matting agent clogging up at the bottom. The matt acrylic varnish then no longer is matt, but increasingly gloss.

This morning, after the usual shaking, I decided to check (I had a faint suspicion that it had turned more gloss lately). And of course there was a huge blob of matting agent at the bottom. Needed to be scraped off and stirred vigourously.

From now on, I'll check at least once a week. And of course every time I haven't touched it for a prolonged period.

2. Tonino

Tonino Member

I usually put some little steel (or lead) beads in every matt color can as soon as I open it for the first time. I use most of the time the "old" Humbrol enamels but I think this method applies to acrylics too.
    Just to remember where I have already inserted the beads I write a symbol on the can with a marker (as a memo) so I don't put them in two times... :?

This gives you two results:

1) to obtain a perfect mix of solid and liquid components (better than shaking the can with only the paint)

2) to know when the deposit is completely resuspended: it's simply a matter of hearing, when you can feel the beads beating the can two times (one to the cap and one to the bottom) you know there is no more deposit :D

Hope that I haven't just re-discovered the wheel one more time :oops:

3. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

That is a truly great invention. Will make a point of passing by the fishing tackle store close by in an hour when going for lunch to get a small bag of lead shots.

Amazing, the help you get on this site if you just holler. Didn't expect anything like this good tip.

4. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Problem solved - thanks Tonino!

Oh, what a joyous sound, the newly added lead shots rumbling around in the little can of matt acrylic varnish! Better even than the sound of spray cans (there's a clue for you - if I hadn't been so dense).

No more bottom clogs of matting agent, no more wondering whether I shouldn't stir it up properly instead of just shaking it. The best tip I've had in a long time.

Come to think of it, you could probably make do with a couple of medium-sized nuts or other assorted metal junk.

But it sure is nicer with specially bought lead shots...

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Gee, isn't this the way James Bond liked his acrylic varnish?

Couldn't help it, Gil