Matrix APU: WIP

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Master-Bruce, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Ok, so I'm almost done now with the 1701-E bridge. One more part to texure and it'll be released.

I've been having a hard time decided what to try next, various Trek interiors are on my list but I really wanted to try something new and somewhat original. I made a start on various ideas but I just wasn't feeling them and knew I'd probably not finish them. I got fed up and stopped to have a think, I was staring at my display cabinet when I looked at my McFarlane APU. "That's it!" I thought.

Last year I intended to scratchbuild one of these in a 1:6 scale, gathered alot of reference for it. The McFarlane figure was even a gift from somebody I'd met over the internet who was encouraging me to build a larger one. Though it'd be a shame for him to do that for nothing so here it is...

As seen in the Matrix Trilogy, the APU!!!!!
    Well,the start of it anyway. :)

And a pic of how it will/should look when I'm done. This pic is a render of a mesh that was created by a guy I only know as "Kehlan". He sent me orthos of his mesh last year so I'd like to credit him now for helping a guy out and for creating an awsome mesh.
    This will take a while to do so please keep posting here to find out the latest and to help keep me at this one. Ithink this could be a really great model, if I get it right!!! LOL
  2. Kezn

Kezn pwned in the dawn

hey hey, whats a nice ideal of creating this model.
    Go ahead my friend.

3. Master-Bruce

Hey Kezn!! I've just been looking at you updates. Great stuff.

Yeah, for this I've been trying to push myself and my abilities. I hope to have this fully poseable as is the McFarlane toy though it may not be possible so I may just go for minimal movement.

I'm lovin' my choice here and hope I can pull it off.

Thanks for the compliment.
  4. Master-Bruce

A small update. Still modelling the seat area.

I can say one thing, this model will be a challenge! Both to me and to the builders out there who tackle it when it's done. There'll be alot of rolling to do. There's the roll bars, the hydrolics and joints. Then there're pins for those joints if I manage to make this poseable.

For the cables I imagine people will have to purchase seperately those little modelling tubes for scratchbuilding or maybe better, use black wire? I'm not sure about the ammo belt feed. I could do a paper version but it will just be flat and double sided. I know these are available to purchase from good modelling sites and stores but I'm not sure if they'll be in scale. I plan on having this in 1:6 scale making it somewhere in the region of 24" tall. As well as appeal to me, this size may be necessary for it to be buildable due to the small parts involved in the shoulders.

Would people even be interested in this model at that scale? Or even the subject itself??

Anyway, here's the pic.
  5. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Would people even be interested in this model at that scale? Or even the subject itself??

What a silly question. It's a two foot robot with rotary cannons. Of course people would want it. It looks great.
  6. ninja_doc

ninja_doc Member

I'm definitely interested!
  7. Master-Bruce

I had to ask. It's an ambitous project for meso wanted to make sure that someone would like it. I rarely have time to build as I find I enjoy designing more so put my free time into that.

I'll press on then. :)
  8. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Matrix APU

Hi Skupilkinson,

Go for It!! I for one am Interested! These machines are an awesome design and I loved seeing them In action in the film. Couldn't afford the Mc farlane model, It was superb.

Tom :wave:
  9. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

more mecha

hey keep at it we need more mecha models in our part of the world all the really good ones cant be downloaded and most are from korea or japan, which is why i decided to design mecha models:thumb: ok now i am getting itchy fingers to complete my gundam project and the sazabi:rolleyes: any this model will definatley be added to my collection as most peaple on this forum could tell you i love mecha modelssign1 and just remeber the old addage size does matter.. in other words the bigger the better:mrgreen:, anyway keep it up as its looking very nice..
  10. Master-Bruce

Thanks for the encouragement. It'll now be life size!!! LOL!

Definitely keep at those, I love Gundam but confess I haven't finished one of the models I've started. I used to get too excited with other new models so for a long time I had nothing to show for months of building.

I think I've grown since then. :)

Does anyone here do mechs from the Rift role play games?? There was one called the Ulti Max 2000 I think I loved that one and would love to have some pics to design it in paper. Also another one I liked was called the "Glitterboy" powersuit.

Any help on that subject would be greatly appreciated. :)
  11. Kezn

Kezn pwned in the dawn

hi skupil,
    I don't know what program you're using. If you need some tips for modelling, to easy up your work, here is a little one:

If its 3ds max, for this kind of stuff I usually use the spline tool, with the modify of "bevel profile". You know, like you draw the border of a cup of tea then bevel profile it with a circle. Then after some easy ajustment you will have your cup of tea, in instant. It means, instead of model all the face, and try to have them correctly, you just need to do fews acts. It always reduced my work when I'm modelling something.

For an exemple, this model was created one month after I've started to learn 3ds max 8 (about 20 hours of course). And 95% of these parts was created with spline and bevel profile. And I do it in about one week.

Please understand I don't have any intention to be arrogant or something like that. I hope it could help you. Forgive me if you already know about this stuff.

12. Master-Bruce

Hi Kezn. No offence taken. I use Truespace, version 3.4 as it's free these days and I've known Truespace for years since I got a copy of version 2.

I'm familiar with spline, sweep, point edit. I start with basic shapes like a cube and take from there. The backplate on the APU for example started as a cube, then I select a face(the top) and sweep it and shape the new face and continue until I end up with the right backplate.

Thanks for the tip though. My problem lies with modelling faces of people. I've tried a few times but never got good results. I'd love to try a bust one day.

Nice bike by the way, unusual styling. I like it though.
  13. Master-Bruce

Not alot done tonight. Always the way on the weekends. :(

I started building up the rear the cab, where the power generator-or whatever it is-is located. Started adding the control sticks on the front too.

I know I joked about this in an earlier post but I think this may need to be bigger than the original 24" I'm not sure yet these control sticks will be tricky to build AND have them poseable as I've modelled them. I think I'll model the joints for poseability but not go so far as to design the pins and such for it. Maybe have it so that the builder can pose it as he builds but once positioned the joints will not glueing into place so that it will then become static??? Does this make sense?

But, having it already poseable like that, the builder can use pins maybe to make it permenantly poseable if they choose to modeify the models joints slightly during building.

That's my current thought on that anyway.

Here are the new pics, as I said, not alot done today. Sorry about that.

Any suggestions on the joints is greatly appreciated. :)
  14. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

This is gonna be so cool! I may scale it down, but I would love to build this one!

When the time comes keep me in mind for test building sections if you want.

15. Master-Bruce

Thanks for the entheusiasm and the offer of a beta builder. :) I appreciate it.

I haven't touched it in a few days, I wanted to get a few things done first. I will be coming back at this one though sometime next week.
  16. animechx

animechx New Member

any updates on this?
    coz i cant afford the real toy and is planning to build this one instead.
  17. Master-Bruce

No progress at this time I'm afraid. I jumped in feet first and hadn't thought some things through. This was always going to be a slow WIP but now it will be slower as I'm working on a dozen and one things at the moment.

The McFarlane toy is dear, I know what you mean. I was lucky enough to get mine as a gift. ;)

This will be done but I can't say when. Sorry. :)
  18. julescrafter

julescrafter Member

you pick great object!! Matrix APU! I'm looking forward to see another progress. keep on going, I think it would be great to see a lot of details on APU. :thumb:
  19. Master-Bruce

Thanks, I'll be finishing this one but probably sometime next year.
  20. NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005 Member

this looks great, I'll add this one to my list to watch. keep up the fantastic work