Mating Peco turnouts to Atlas track (code55)

gringo

I'm considering using Atlas Code 55 track for my first layout, but the turnouts to be Peco. Any problems mating the two rails? Do any modifications need to be made to either connection?

I understand that the Peco track is actually Code 70 track that's half buried in the ties, to give it the Code 55 look but with more strength.

Oh, another thing- it's a fairly simple loop on a door plan, but I'm going to use a DCC system- does it matter wether the frogs are powered or unpowered? Am I just complicating things too much to get them powered? It's been about a decade since I've done anything with this hobby, so things are coming back to me, but slowly.

Also, since I'm here- I used Atlas's track planning software for the layout; Atlas offers #5 turnouts, Peco offers #4. Is there a significant difference, or can I wing it with the #4 and still get everything to fit more or less as planned? Anyone have any suggestions on any OTHER software that they enjoyed using?
Thanks for the help!

ls1gto

Wish I could help but I will be interested to hear the results. I have 40 pcs. of code 55 and Peco's fresh from ups on the doorstep at home. I had not heard the "rail buried in the tie" bit. I'm pretty sure there are no issues but like I said, we'll see:D . Godspeed:thumb: .

C

Catt

There is a double web on PECO code 55 track and turnouts.To mate with ATLAS or any other brand of code 55 the bottom web needs to be removed.

Once this is done you will have to shim the ATLAS track to match the PECO turnouts.Personaly I would use both the PECO code 55 track and the turnouts.

Hmmm,just remembered ,that's exactly what I did. :D :D

C

Catt

Hmmm,very interesting.I only posted once.Oh well one swish with my magic moderator's wand and all is well in N scale land. :D :D :D