Material for windows

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
This is a follow-up to Matthyro's suggestion of fibreglass tape for windows in N scale.

For HO, I found a plastic mesh usually used for cross-stitch, at the dollar store. Two 9x12 inch sheets for $1. The grid is about 1 scale foot by 1 scale foot. Can be cut easily into any size you want. The plastic is slightly thicker than standard cereal boxboard, so you can make windows by cutting an opening, using clear plastic to cover the back, and then inserting the entire window frame into the opening.

Can be cut to any size and any configuration. I will post a picture when I get the chance.

Andrew

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
Andrew
I use that plastic mesh also, the craft store near me sells it for about .50 a sheet in several colors and hole sizes, I model N scale and I have used it for windows, fences, ladders, a cross to replace the one on top of the church that I broke off and a few others that I can't think of right now. Requires cutting out a lot of little pcs. but it looks good and I do it while watching the baseball game.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, I picked some of it up at the Wal-Mart craft dept. I didn't know what I'd use if for, but it looked interesting and it was cheap. Thanks for the idea.

Don

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
If anyone wants more of it for free let me know, you pay the shipping and I'll send it to you. When my mother passed away last year she left about 2000 sheets of it (and I am not exagerating) I have been trying to figure out a good use for all of it.

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
I tried to add this photo to my previous post but could not figure how to do it in the edit mode, anyway I used the plastic mesh for the fence around my horse corral to make it look like split rail, and the ladder that is leaning against the farmers market which needs a little more trimming on the rungs, best thing I could come up with without using twigs for the fence.

Attachments

• horse corral.jpg
    horse corral.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 249

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by CSX6638
I tried to add this photo to my previous post but could not figure how to do it in the edit mode, anyway I used the plastic mesh for the fence around my horse corral to make it look like split rail, and the ladder that is leaning against the farmers market which needs a little more trimming on the rungs, best thing I could come up with without using twigs for the fence.
Hey, that's cool. I like those ideas, I just knew there had to be a good use for that stuff, especially for N. I was about to buy a fence for my farmhouse, but not now.:D :D :D :D

D:cool: N

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
A picture (at last!)

Here at long last is a picture. I know someone else has beaten me to it (can't locate the thread right now), but here is my take...

Andrew

Attachments

• cabin02.jpg
    cabin02.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 176