Material for Valances and layout edges

For the first time, but fourth layout, I'm going to do this one right and dress it up with nice edging and valances.

I'm trying to figure out the best material for my overhead lighting valances, as well as the 'edging' along the sides of my layout. It needs to be flexible to bend around curves and turns, but also strong enough to hold up... What do folks out there use?

Kris

hminky

I put up black polyethylene sheeting as a temproray valence and liked it enough to use it permanently.

valance.JPG

I discuss it in my lighting web article at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/4x8/lighting/

It is flexible, cheap and doesn't scrap the top of one's bald head.

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Russ Bellinis

hminky said:
It is flexible, cheap and doesn't scrap the top of one's bald head.
Harold

As I've lost more hair to age and finally gave up and shave my head, I appriceate (spelling?) having things that don't scrape my head.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Russ Bellinis said:
As I've lost more hair to age and finally gave up and shave my head, I appriceate (spelling?) having things that don't scrape my head.
Solution: make your valance come down to within an inch or two of how tall you are.:wave::D For anyone taller than you, hey, let them take care of themselves :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Masonite has been the defacto standard, especially if you want to paint it. Another possibility is 1/8" luan plywood. It is about as cheap as masonite and you can paint both sides if you need to. I used it as backdrop material and got it to bend a very tight curve by spraying it with a hose for a bit.