Massive 1701-Refit/A

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OylPslyk, Nov 23, 2007.

1. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Well after a much too long wait, my version of the Refit Enterprise is now under way! :twisted:
    Ive decided to part it at an even larger massive scale - this is at 1:240 (1/2 studio scale) it makes for 23 sheets just for the saucer shell :eek:

next update will be the saucer's inner core and the bridge superstructure
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

oh boy! a subject that is dear to my heart! im drooling!!!!!
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You sir ... are insane. =p

You should do 24x36 sheets for formers to keep em all in one piece as much as possible. I say lay out the D sized sheet on matte board and cut em out. Then panel on like a mad man.

Don't forget the L.E.D.'s :D
  4. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Dear lord!!! I missed this this morning!

240 scale? And there's me thinking that 350 was enough. Is this going to have textures? Or is it a vanilla build to be painted?

Hell, either way it's going to be a monster! A cool montser. ;)
  5. OylPslyk

I have the luxury of a 11' wide printer here at home, so my own sheets will be much bigger..., Also, I may not need to cut them as it may be an interlocked lace, with the outermost thinner part being reinforced and constructed first, and then the rest locking into it. (or vise-versa)

I also have been doing some surfing around for some specific electronics to light it and junk, but I wont add that into the dsign untill all is finished, I wont worry about it with the beta build. :mrgreen: I figured at this scale it just deserves lights.

and the textures will be added later too, once all the parts are layed out.
    With the number of parts and the way I'm attacking the curves this one would in fact make a good candidate for painting though! :thumb:

and just for those of you who were wondering, at 1:240 scale the model is
    50"L x 23-1/2"W x 11-3/4"H :eek:sign1
    I'm helping a friend work up masters for a 240 scale kit so I figured while I was messin with the patterns I would make my model the same!
  6. Master-Bruce

Sounds great! Textures would be awesome for those who can't paint. It would be a lot of work though to texture a 4' model!! :)

I'll be watching this puppy.
  7. OylPslyk

Actually the textures are already done for the most part - they just have to be stretched and morphed to apply to the parts, that's why my models take sooo long in the design phase :mrgreen:

I'll add some more pics again since I'm splitting my Enterprises into sep threads now.
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Sha-zaaaamm! :shock: I thought the PL and DeBoer Hulls Refits were big. . .
  9. Master-Bruce

Looks great!! I hope I'm alowed to build this. The wife hates my big models!! :(

If I don't someone had better post lots of pics. This will be a mammoth build!
  10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

This is going to be excellent.

But how are you going to cope with the weight of the engines. This was a very big problem with the ERTL plastic kits. With the pylons being so thin and the engines are long and heavy, this could be a problem.
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looks like a super design so far! Thanks for sharing! :D
  12. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

13. OylPslyk

If it becomes a problem, something like wire clothes-hangers could more than sufficient to stiffen the supports, although for things like that I usually try to pull the cotton off of q-tips and use the shafts as support (since they are paper-lol)

I also just finished working up all the joiners (im using butt-joints for the hull panels) and all the internals for the saucer, which brings it up to 49 pages at 8.5x11!! :eek: surprisingly all the internals fit without needing to be split up :cool: Ill post some more pics and explain why later...
  14. OylPslyk

If anyone wants to test build this sucker as I go PM me and I'll pass the sheets along as they are ready. everything for the saucer is now done (not yet for the impulse or bridge or sensor array tho)
  15. Master-Bruce

I'd love to, I really would. I just don't have any time.

I'll be watching to see how it goes though. Watching the design and the testbuild in one thread would be cool.
  16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I was going to say, go with coat hangers to support the engines. I did that with my ERTL.

As for a beta build, I'd have a go. But I would need a week to finish what I'm building now. So if your still asking then, count me in.
  17. Master-Bruce

Go for it Paul!! You've testbuilt two of my models and seen them through to the end.

I have to ask though, would your boss(wife) mind a 4' Enterprise in the front room? LOL
  18. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I think if I had a go at this, I would have to move out.

It's like a construction yard in my house at the moment, card models and building the bismark, radio control, not card. And sorry to upset the members, but my 1/350 scale plastic (sorry about swearing there) ship model fleet need finishing.

Lucky 'ere indoors is not bad with my hobbies, she says at least I'm not out boozing all the time.
  19. Master-Bruce

Too true!! I don't drink either. I do smoke,it's my only sin.

Indeed there are worse things to do than building a model. :)
  20. OylPslyk

Ok, I'm halfway finished with the bridge and superstructure parts, but all is done for the saucer shape itself, including joiners and the core.

the parts for the saucer shape take up 65 pages!!! but 1/2 of those are for the part-joiners, since I am making all the seams butt-up together, rather than overlapping.
    I'm just trying to make this one as visually appealing as possible since its sooo large, but the option is always there for the builder to just tab the parts themselves and
    glue them together that way, so once the entire model is done, I will move ALL the joiner parts to their own set of sheets so that those who choose to build with tabs
    instead can do so without wasteing so much paper...:thumb:

and if you still want to build it paul, I'll post the saucer pages this afternoon.
    the parts are now labeled, but I am still working up a better descriptor, instruction list for them - ill post them when thats done :cool: