Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by andrew ferguson, Mar 1, 2006.

1. what is the best way to mask for painting on a paper model? I have a portion of a model i want to repaint, with a straight edge. Conventional masking tapes would ruin the unpainted portion.

All help appreciated. :)
  2. Post-its maybe?????????????????????????????????????
  3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Have you tried some of that specialty blue masking tape used by painters? It might work better.
  4. Renaud

Renaud Member

masking rubber

I use it sometimes when painting pictures with watercolors. Be careful, because watercolour paper is much thicker. It may remove a little the print, too, and lighten the color underneath, and I am doubtful about the process. When applying the rubber, use a thin brush, sometimes I mix the rubber with water a little to ensure a clean and precise marking, but this cannot be used with paper models of course. To ensure a straightlined application, use a strong plastic sheet, apply some liquid rubber along a short part of the edge, and immediately adjust the line separation; Careful!

When using a brush, wash it with water as soon as you can, no more than one minute after the beginning, or your brush get ruined.
  5. 46rob

46rob Member

3-M makes an incredible variety of tapes. In addition to the painters tape, they also produce a transparent tape with Post-it type adhesive, that pulls off easily. Look for Scotch Matte Finish Removable tape at your friendly neighborhood office supply.
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Masking, Frisket and Tissue Decals

Graphic airbrush artists used a material called "Frisket" to mask areas when airbrushing. It has a very low tack adhesive that will not mar any paper surface and is thin enough to be easily cut with an Xacto knife. I've found that the adhesive backed, clear shelf liner is a near identical product and is much lower in price. I wouldn't recommend using it in a brushed application though. For this you may want to try using a Krylon product called "Easy Tack" on the back of a suitable masking film. I've used this product to allow tissue paper to be mounted on a sheet of cardstock so it could pass through an inkjet printer after which the printed "decal" is cut out, peeled from the suface and applied. This may be a workable alternative to painting the detail and is a lot less error prone.

7. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Amen to the Frisket!

Vote me with Gil on this. The Frisket is the ticket to what you want/need to do!