Marx Trains Still In Business??

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I thought Marx was defunct? What is this? They look cool though.....

I want one......
    Or two.
    Or more.......
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Looks like some nice TP.
  3. Cannonball

Very nice. I guess the comapny is called Ameritrains. they are just using the old Marx designs. The biggest problem I see is that they are sold out on a lot of items. A big plus is that they are USA made, however.
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Ameritrains licensed the Marx name but the designs and tooling are new. The company came about in the mid 1990s. THey have a small but devoted following.

Original Marx tinplate isn't terribly expensive either, even in nice shape (you just have to look around a little more for it because the beat-up stuff is so much more common). I have a lot of Marx tin and really like it.
  5. Cannonball

I'm really thinking about one of these sets. The Ameritrains/Marx stuff would be a nice fit on my layout. A little on the pricey side but US made.
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

They're nice stuff. Have you checked out original Marx too? I love their litho diesels, and I think the original Marx CP is my favorite steamer of all, regardless of make.

The one thing to be careful about with original Marx is a lot of them have a "fat wheel" so they won't work with modern switches. New Marx (Ameritrains) doesn't have that issue, fortunately.
  7. Cannonball

I've been scoping eBay for Marx stuff. Not much has impressed me so far. Either they're rusted, parts missing, or something hinky about them. Also, the good vintage stuff tends to bring on bidding wars that drive most of it WAY beyond what it's actually worth. I will most likely go with one of the new Ameritrains sets and then maybe try to pick up a few boxcars and the like from eBay.

The thing about the Ameritrain set is that the engine is only an 0-4-0. I e-mailed them and asked if it could be converted to a 2-4-0 or 2-4-2 with the front and rear truck replacements they sell as well. We'll wait and see what their answer is. I really like their Norfolk & Western 2-4-2 Engine but it costs almost as much as their entire Milwaukee Road Coal set.