Marx Mercury

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ocalicreek, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ocalicreek

ocalicreek Member

Hello All!

I am the recent recipient of a Marx train set. Being heavily into HO, I really don't want to go out and buy a Marx book or guide just to find out more about this one item, so I thought I'd turn here. I have also joined a Marx Yahoo group and, if I strike out here, I'll be posting there as well. Already I have followed links in that group to the Thortrains site, where there is a nice history of Marx trains, even a little bit about my particular train, but I am hoping somebody here can tell me more.

It's a Marx Mercury set in its original box, but it appears to have an additional car in the set as well as more track. There is a throttle pack and Marx rail-clip with two cloth-covered wires still attached. A lionel clip is included and that seems easier to attach to the track.

The train itself is a copper color. The consist includes engine and tender, a mail/baggage car, a passenger car 'Chicago' and two 'Detroit' cars along with a streamlined observation. All have lights inside. The engine appears to have an E relay attached to the motor. There is no smoke or whistle unit, but there is a red gel plastic insert in the smokestack.

The train appears to be in fair/good condition with a few chips & abrasions here and there. I've started checking ebay to see what auction prices there are running. I don't have any real intention to sell right away, I'd rather restore it and put it to work at Christmas around the tree. But I would like to know what it is worth (dollars).

Thanks in advance for any help I receive. I'll get pictures up eventually.
  2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

There was a Marx guy who used to post here. He had some really neat stuff!

3. Marxed

Marxed Member

Hey guys!! :wave:

very nice train! i insist you post photos :mrgreen::mrgreen:

that is a rare set and if it's nice and with a box and everything, the combination of the copper and the interior lights makes that a highly desired set... that set is still up on my want to buy list...

you would easily get a few hundred for that... i'm thinking that 60-70 dollars per car would be reasonable if they are in good condition... maybe a 100 for a nice locomotive? the box adds to the overall price too.. I have not priced any Mercury sets recently but I'm looking at a old greenburgs pocket price book at the moment... if i actually had money and a chance to make an offer on a good condition set like that, $500 wouldn't be out of the question... that would vary depending on the amount of scratches and stuff... you can get more or less from that, all depends on who wants that at the given moment.
  4. ocalicreek

ocalicreek Member

Really? That much?

Wow! jawdrop (...been waiting a while to use that smiley...I think this counts!)

That's more than I was expecting, given that a few of the sites I have looked at describe Marx as "more affordable than Lionel", both then and now.

It may be a couple days before I post any pics, as I want to set up a nicer place than just my workbench, and I want to do it when my kiddo isn't around since it may be a surprise under the tree this year (not for him to play with necessarily, certainly not without Dad supervising the throttle, just as a Xmas train for the family).

But I WILL post pics soon, hopefully this week.

Thanks for the replies!
  5. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Sounds like a really cool set. I love the old Marx stuff but have been concentrating on smaller scales for awhile. Can't wait to see the pics!