marx electric VS. wind up cars?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i know the engines are not the same. but what about the cars? the tin cars that comes with the wind up's look to be identical to the electric ones.

is this true? could i buy wind up cars to pull behind my electric engine?
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Sure, they all work together. The only difference between the windup cars and the electrics is that the coupler can slide a bit, which made it easier for the windup engine to start up. At least that's how it was supposed to be, but I believe sometimes windup cars got shipped with electric engines.

The sliding couplers sometimes can limit the number of cars an electric can pull, so I just fix the couplers in place with a clip or a strong magnet to limit their movement. That way I can un-do the modification without affecting the car's value at all.

Also, the Marx tab and slot couplers will mate up with the plastic knuckle coupler they used on later cars. They intentionally designed the knuckle to be backward compatible that way.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

cool, i know i see alot of complete marx wind up trains sell cheap!, but the same cars that are "electric" would sell for alot more with no engine at all. some of the wind ups are in better shape to. im just looking for some cheap cars to add to the 3 i got to make alittle longer train . some to use , im sure later ill be looking for more "rare" stuff to collect well i run all my stuff, just some more then and the cheap marx trains i will be letting the 9 year old boy
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I've added to my fleet several times by buying cheap windup sets. It's funny how much cheaper they go, and there's no really good reason for it. Maybe people don't realize it's pretty much the same thing? Hopefully this doesn't cause a spike in prices now that the word's out.
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Great now I'm going to have Ozzy bidding against me. :)
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

dont worry, i see more wind up cars for sale then i do the others, just not all say there wind up cars if the engines not with them. just got to look at the pics close to see the slots.