Marvin Beta Build

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
I built one............. it's in my cubical at work.......... Sorry but I didn't take a picture before carrying it to work.

It's a big hit with the folks at work! I had no problems with it except I had the strengthen the legs at the shoes, but that was because I was impatient and wanted to stand him up too soon!:eek:ops:

He sotta developed a bad case of the droops! But not since I used the CA glue on him!

john

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Chthulhu said:
Well done! If you want to post your modified version here, consider this my permission to you to do so. :)

Mike Hungerford

Thanks but I made the changes on the fly. No trigger guard, added my own sight and shortened the tube at the back of the gun by about 30% (so it did not poke Marvin in the eye.):wink:

MOS95B

Feb 19, 2007
Robbinsdale MN USA
www.mos95b.com
BazookaJo said:
*but how many of us download models never to build them :eek:ops:

Regards

Paul.

Not me. I'd never do that....
icon_rolleyes.gif

I just downloaded your wonderful looking model. As soon as I finish the Klingon D7 I'm building, he's next

THANK YOU!!!

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
MOS95B said:
Not me. I'd never do that....
icon_rolleyes.gif

I just downloaded your wonderful looking model. As soon as I finish the Klingon D7 I'm building, he's next

THANK YOU!!!

Your welcome:grin:

The extra good news is that the Pistol hand should be ready some time next week for a ceta builder or two to have a crack at.

I'll make a new post later in the week with pics and hopefully pic up some volunteers.

Best regards

Paul.

cdavenport

Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Georgia
Pistol hand

I have never checked; is Marvin the same scale as his Pistol found on Chthulu's web page?

Also, I have a suggestion on how to make the construction of his feet easier and stronger. I used the bottom sole as a template to cut suitably thick cardboard which I glued to the upper sole assembly. This saved quite a bit of time and effort.
CTDavenport

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
cdavenport said:
I have never checked; is Marvin the same scale as his Pistol found on Chthulu's web page?

Also, I have a suggestion on how to make the construction of his feet easier and stronger. I used the bottom sole as a template to cut suitably thick cardboard which I glued to the upper sole assembly. This saved quite a bit of time and effort.
CTDavenport

No it is not the same size. See my two previous posts in this thread.

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
cdavenport said:

CTDavenport

Good tip there B-Manic :)

As for the Pistol Hand - it's actually the hand AND the pistol :

CardPistol2.jpg

I based mine on the close-up version of the disintegrator pistol, which strangely is simpler than the distance shots?!?! but as such is easier to build at this scale :-D

Regards

Paul.

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
BazookaJo said:
Good tip there B-Manic :)

As for the Pistol Hand - it's actually the hand AND the pistol :

CardPistol2.jpg

I based mine on the close-up version of the disintegrator pistol, which strangely is simpler than the distance shots?!?! but as such is easier to build at this scale :-D

Regards

Paul.

Wow!! That's GREAT! I may have to build Marvin again

cdavenport

Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Georgia
Marvin's Pistol

Do you have an idea when you might be willing to release the pistol hand for the rest of us to try? Not trying to be pushy, but I am having such a good time with the Marvin build thus far!
CTD

kinsey006

Jan 28, 2007
Arm Problems...

What a nifty model! I have had ZERO problems building the feet, legs, peplum, the helmet was pretty tricky at times but still fit almost perfectly together, and one hand went together just fine. BUT the arms are giving me major problems. They just don't want to fit together at all! I almost thought I had printed them out wrong or something...I've had to reglue one arm many times, then find where best to glue it when I reprint it and try again...I don't know...I'm not a model designer, so I don't know all that goes into making one of these things, but since the whole of the model so far is so very tight and sturdy (needs to be to hold up such a huge head :) ), why are the arms so very UNtight and UNsturdy? They don't even have any way to connect them to the torso except to just make my own tabs and glue them in places they are needed, or just pop them in the armhole of the torso and leave them unglued. The wrist is way to large to fit into the hole in the hand I've built so far...
Sorry, I'm not criticizing the designer of this model AT ALL...I love this thing! :) I would simply like to work out all of the arm issues so that I can finish the model and do it justice to what the designer meant it to turn out like. Any ideas? Help!
BILL
www.myspace.com/kinsey006
PS...I can post pics of the parts I've built already if needed, but I really wanna finish this model...can't express enough how neat I think it is!

BazookaJo

Apr 2, 2006
UK
www.bazookajo.me.uk
kinsey006 said:
What a nifty model! I have had ZERO problems building the feet, legs, peplum, the helmet was pretty tricky at times but still fit almost perfectly together, and one hand went together just fine. BUT the arms are giving me major problems. They just don't want to fit together at all! I almost thought I had printed them out wrong or something...I've had to reglue one arm many times, then find where best to glue it when I reprint it and try again...I don't know...I'm not a model designer, so I don't know all that goes into making one of these things, but since the whole of the model so far is so very tight and sturdy (needs to be to hold up such a huge head :) ), why are the arms so very UNtight and UNsturdy? They don't even have any way to connect them to the torso except to just make my own tabs and glue them in places they are needed, or just pop them in the armhole of the torso and leave them unglued. The wrist is way to large to fit into the hole in the hand I've built so far...
Sorry, I'm not criticizing the designer of this model AT ALL...I love this thing! :) I would simply like to work out all of the arm issues so that I can finish the model and do it justice to what the designer meant it to turn out like. Any ideas? Help!
BILL
www.myspace.com/kinsey006
PS...I can post pics of the parts I've built already if needed, but I really wanna finish this model...can't express enough how neat I think it is!

Hi Bill

The wrists shouldn't be an easy fit and should almost feel like you're screwing the things on - needed this to be a really tight fit. They shouldn't be hugely out, but they usually do need a little teasing - don't worry about widening them a little with a pencil or other implement.

As for the torso - the trick is that the arms are not glued to the torso at all (or at least not on my model). The top parts of the arms that look like shoulders should simply stop the arms from coming out of the torso but leave the joint free to allow final positioning of the hands when the model is complete.

Once the model is completed the right hand finger should be quite tight against the front of the left cheek plate of the helmet and should almost stay there on its own, though a dab of glue will help it stay in place.

If you build the gun, the hand should be tilted sightly so that again, the side of the pistol rests against the top front corner of the left cheek plate.

A strange solution I know but it got pretty damn tricky near the end :razz:

Hope this helps

Paul.

kinsey006

Jan 28, 2007
An Arm Epiphany!

Hey, was just trying again on an arm and was having the same problem, the tabs don't fit into the joints ("armpit" and "elbow" section), as the upper portion is larger than the circumference of the lower portion...then it hit me...fold the tabs all the way in, and fit the portions together THAT way. Wow. Do I feel dumb. Its just that I've done many many models and this is the first time I've come across that particular usage of tabs INSIDE cylinders. Usually the tabs are made to radiate out from one part and into another. In this case, the are meant to be bent backward inside their own cylinder. Ok...I'm making this much more confusing than it should be. LOL Anyhow, I did finally figure it out.
Thanks for the response, man. :)
BILL

bralwel

Oct 31, 2007
Help, I cannot download Marvin. Is there another link I can get this from? I keep getting errors for the Marvin Martian download.

bralwel

P

paulhbell

I've just had a look on the link above it seems fine. The file downloads fine. Have you updated adobe reader.