MarsCenter shuttle printing issues?

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by dhanners, Feb 17, 2007.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

I've decided to try my hand at the 1/100th-scale MarsCenter shuttle orbiter, but when I print it out, a number of issues arise, to-wit:

1) The HRSI (black) tile doesn't print out consistently from one page to the next;

2) The HRSI tile detail gets obscured, i.e., instead of seeing the individual tiles, as you do on the computer screen, I just wind up with a big black area with no detail.

Anyone else had these problems? Is there something I should/shouldn't be doing?
  2. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I (I mean most of us) had the same problem...

please contact sir Bengt, I did a repaint of the shuttle as a solution, and also so that I can print the patterns separately according to the texture of the TPS of the shuttle... I sent him the files... our internet connection is very slow... so I can't send large files frequently (its in MS word... about 7+ mb)
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

The only problem I had with this model was that some of the pieces are darker than the others. All pages are printed at the same time using new cartridges, so I don't know why this happened.

This was the 2 or 3 paper model I made, so please forgive the quality.

See photo. Sorry for the poor quality.

Also the tunnel to the docking port is too long, looking at NAS photos the docking port is the one that is used for the MIR missions. So I made it shorter, all the other models I have seen on here have a different module in the payload bay, I made the quest module which was launched with Atlantis.

Attached Files:

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yes, this is a common problem many folks have obverved. Here is a PM I received from the author, sadly after I had done mine. Perhaps you can email him for the files:

Dear Rick,

first at all, happy birthday!!!

We are not far each other (I’m April 1959).

As present for you, I prepared an advanced pdf copy of the Endeavour sheet n. 4, 6 and 7 respectively of 200, 360 and 680 KB.

If you are not yet allergic to my Model and you want to check the Shuttle belly be of uniform color I can send to you these shteets via three separate e-mails

I’m currently in Holland. And tomorrow I’ll fly back to Naples. So these files cannot be on the Marscenter Web before Tuesday. If you want to have a look during the weekend let me know sending me an e-mail at:

All my best wishes for your anniversary and thank you for your analytical approach to my model

5. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Bigger photo

A bigger photo of my shuttle. Still not good quality. I have a new camera, so just getting used to using it.

Attached Files:

6. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

real atlantis

This is what I mean about a shorter tunnel to the airlock. The one that is downloaded with the model is too long.

This photo was taken off another thread, it's not mine.

Attached Files:

7. jparenti

jparenti Member

A high-quality laser printer seems to be the solution for me.

When I first printed out the areas of black tile, I used my home computer and printer and saw the same thing you did -- a uniform mass of black. I took my shuttle files to Staples and was amazed to see the same clarity of tile pattern I observed on my computer screen. Plus, no ink ruboff (a big problem for me when I print anything black).
  8. dhanners

dhanners Member

I stuck the relevant files on a CD and I guess I'll take them to my local print shop and have them print out the pages. While I'm glad I'm able to do that, it's kind of frustrating to have to spend that kind of money on a model. (OK, so I'm a cheapskate....)

Now all I have to do is figure out how to replicate the FRSI blankets. In 1/100th scale, their roughness would be a major visual feature of the Orbiter.
  9. Hans Christian

I used linen-textured paper on that one sir... works fine...
  10. Hans Christian

I mean for the AFRSI blankets...
  11. Hans Christian

I used just ordinary bond paper on the FRSI...
  12. dhanners

dhanners Member

Just got the stuff back from the print shop. I figured since they were doing it anyway, I'd have them print the stuff out at 96 percent, so my shuttle model would be in 1/96th (my preferred scale) instead of 1/100th. The stuff looks pretty decent, and the blacks came out relatively even from page to page.

I want to figure out some way to replicate the AFRSI blankets because they are a key visual element to the shuttle. On my plastic models, I've done this with surgical tape (you can see an example here: and I'd like to figure out a way to replicate it in card, too. I already plan on using two different metallic papers on the SSMEs -- a dark one for the SSME nozzle, then a silver-colored paper for the hatbands and plumbing -- and I'd just like to do a few things that would make my shuttle different from the rest.
  13. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

That's got to be one of the best plastic shuttle I have seen and only 1/144. It looks better than any 1/72 model, I.E. tamiya.
  14. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words, Paul. Now if I can just do in paper what I did in plastic....

When I got home last night, I sat down and looked over the MARS Center shuttle sheets (I'm building Atlantis and came to a couple of conclusions. One is that I'm going to have to do a Frankenstein number on the Orbiter's underside. While the detail throughout the kit parts is generally good, the pattern for the black HRSI on the model's center underside piece (piece 4-1 on Sheet 4) runs only in one direction. In reality, the tile pattern on the bottom of the Orbiter is split down the vehicle's centerline; the right side is a mirror image of the left side. That goes for the body flap, too, which is on Sheet 5. (An image of what I'm talking about can be seen here:

So this morning, I went back to the print shop where I had the stuff reduced to 1/96th scale and printed, and had them print reverse images of sheets 4 and 5. I'll have to cut the left side of the part from the reverse sheet, then the right side of the part from the normal sheet, then attach them down the centerline with a butt joint.

As for the AFRSI blankets, I think I'll need to make a trip to the grocery store and check out toilet paper and paper towels. My thinking is if I can find some with the right ridged pattern (or one that's close) I can cut the stuff into tiny squares, then glue them to the model. I'll need to do some tests first to figure out the best way to affix them, though. And I think it would be best to glue the squares on before the parts are cut from their sheets.
  15. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Good luck on joining the 2 bottom sheets.
    Do you know which mission you are going to build and are you modeling the inside of the payload bay, don't forget about the shorter tunnel. The one included with the model is too long.
  16. dhanners

dhanners Member

I imagine I'll do Atlantis as it looks now. I'm also going to model it with a closed payload. I've got enough work to do on it anyway.

That could change, though.
  17. jparenti

jparenti Member

If your plastic model is any indication, your paper shuttle will be excellent. Never thought of using surgical tape for the AFRSI blankets on a plastic model... that's a great fix!
  18. lepton

lepton New Member

Not to be picky, but if it is 1/100 scale now, don't you want to ENLARGE it to get 1/96? I think you need them to print it at 104% to get 1/96 scale.

19. dhanners

dhanners Member

Ugh. I think you're right....

My lousy math skills strike again.
  20. dhanners

dhanners Member

Ok, I just got back from the printer (thankfully, the shop is next door) with my brand-spankin'-new MARS Center shuttle sheets shot (say that real quick) at 104 percent. They look great. This is going from a project I kind of dreaded to one I'm looking forward to.