MARS Center Shuttle -- Atlantis

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by dhanners, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

You never cease to amaze me with your works man... :thumb:
  2. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Thanks for the kind words, I am just about to get some pictures of the S0 pretty soon here, probably in a day or two. So keep an eye out for it.

David, Thank you aswell for your comments. I am glad the photos were helpful. And I hope that you enjoy the other photo's as well. Best of Luck on the Build.
  3. dhanners

dhanners Member

Here are the wings, which I haven't folded yet. I re-topped them with various bits of paper, including paper that I added a design to using the Draw function in Word. Not very high-tech, but it's the best I can do.

I also used a colored marker to re-color some of the RCC panels, but I may go back and physically paint them. There's a lot of work left to be done on them, but slowly but surely, I'm getting there....

Attached Files:

4. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Looks great David, How did you recolor the black tiles on the bottom of the shuttle? Look's spectacular.
  5. dhanners

dhanners Member

I didn't re-color them; that's just the way they came out when I had the originals photocopied to 104 percent to make them 1/96th scale.

Once the model is assembled, I will probably airbrush a bit of light gray along the bottom to realistically weather the bottom.
  6. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Ahh okay, Just be careful when you airbrush them that the paint won't dry and warp the paper. That wouldn't be good after such a lot of hard work.

One thing I wonder though is, I see that when many people do this model, they make Atlantis among the other orbiters. Any particular reason you chose to do Atlantis?
  7. dhanners

dhanners Member

No particular reason I chose Atlantis, at least none that I can remember. I actually started on the model -- by building the SSMEs -- over a year ago, then put it down and never went back to it.

Ok, here are a couple of pictures of the midbody. Nothing's glued yet. I did assemble the wings to the bottom piece, which I modified from the kit piece. I'll be covering the black RCC T-seals with thin strips of gray paper.

Again, the stark black of the tiles will be toned down in some way. Maybe I can find some way to apply pastels, or airbrush so the paint is largely dry by the time it hits the surface. But you're right about the warpage. I'd hate to have that happen.

Attached Files:

8. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

It looks fantastic David, The middle looks a little bit lighter than the wings. But it still looks great with detail.

About choosing, usually everyone picks a specific spacecraft for a certain reason (i.e- Apollo 11 because it landed on the moon first) I can usually find the same with me. I chose to do Discovery first because it was the first shuttle that launched when I got my interest in space. It was the return to flight after Columbia. Then I did Challenger because I saw that I was nearing the end of my years at school so I wanted something to remember it by, and it was also near the anniversary in January. From this point on I am going to rebuild Discovery with interior cockpit and then Columbia, Atlantis and Endeavour to go in order.

Sorry for taking up some space, Good luck.
  9. Hans Christian

Sir just one thing...

from what I've been seeing from all images of orbiters, the leading edge RCC panels aren't "rounded" in shape, but it has a slight tapering edge...

here :-D

10. dhanners

dhanners Member

That cross-section is something I plan to introduce to the leading edge before I close everything up. I need to find something with a long, rounded edge to stick in there and make the fold.
  11. exzealot

exzealot Member

My suggestion would be to sand a balsa stick to the approximate shape of the leading edge. Then fold and glue the stick inside the wing. BUT, I would make sure that the glue doesn't dry too quickly - that would cause a permanent warp to the wing. The wing must be "workable" for 2-3 minutes after closing the wing.

12. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

I would also like to take notice that the flag on the starboard (right) side fuselage piece is reversed on the model. It is hard to explain, just compare the fuselage piece to the picture.
  13. dhanners

dhanners Member

Wow. I just noticed that. That's how it comes on the model, but it's an error in the MARS Center kit that just went right over my head. I'll have to find a reverse flag somewhere and glue it on....
  14. Hans Christian

me too... thanks for that info man...
  15. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

It's no problem, I noticed alot of people don't notice that one on the models.
  16. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

you mean it is "flowing" relative to the wind right?

i dont mean to be superstitious, but when US agencies started to sew/paint flags in a left to right face, things started to go sour...

na its just me..
  17. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

hmmm, i just tried your AFRSI technique, and i tried a small portion on a scrap an used a flat iron, set on medium heat so as to prevent shines, and voila! AFRSI edges became less obrusive, more rounded and more even..

wonder of that would work for you?
  18. dhanners

dhanners Member

My wife has put up with other strange aspects of this hobby, so maybe using her iron wouldn't raise any eyebrows. But again, the edges of the OMS aren't as stark on the model as the photos make them out to be.

I've finished the midbody, underside and elevons, but it's too late tonight to take photos. Maybe tomorrow....
  19. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Hmm..could you explain that? I can't quite understand what you mean by that. Thanks
  20. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

ok sir, get a good night's sleep.

while i here remodify jaybat's viper fleet landing gears.

and go out to select what texure of paper to use on my columbia AFRSI improvement....

i suggest you weather plasma burns on the shuttle with some ground pastel material, i should be posting info now, but i could find my SD card reader.(FRAK damn.)

did you know someone was building the SCA? transporter