MARS Center Shuttle -- Atlantis

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by dhanners, Nov 23, 2008.

1. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

I will Resize to 1/96 and send you a copy no problem,I have to resize for my build anyway.
    Is SIR alfonso's tile pattern not correct ??
    I thought it was?
    It does resemble an upside down chevron starting from the centre line out??

Attached Files:

2. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Sorry I have been away from this forum for a while,I made the mistake of buying one of these!!
    I have had my own mini hubble in the back garden......
    I have been viewing the cosmos instead of building!!wall1
    Going to get back to it again so watch this space:mrgreen:

Attached Files:

3. dhanners

dhanners Member

I screwed up. Alfonso's TPS pattern is correct. It's the MARS Center one that isn't correct. I apologize, and didn't mean to impugn Alfonso's work; it is excellent. Nor did I particularly mean to impugn the work of the MARS Center shuttle. It's just that it got the belly TPS pattern wrong.

And thanks for the kind words about my work. This one is slow-going, but I'll get it done eventually. With my models, I just need to reach that "tipping point" in which I've put in too much work to quit....
  4. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Nice, I've been looking up in the South Western Sky at Venus and Jupiter this month (though I finally found out what exactly they were on Thanksgiving)

How well can you see the ISS with it? I bet you could see it clearly.

That is okay David, Everyone makes mistakes, it's only human.
  5. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

I click on the NASA website to see when it is over the UK.
    I have seen the ISS go over severals times but it travels so fast that you do not get time to track and focus before it goes out of range!!
    I tend to view it with a pair of binoculars(Easier to move across the sky)
    Just a bright moving light with binoculars but still fantastic to know that its the ISS!!
    The weather in the UK was rubbish(Thick Cloud:curse:)for the Jupiter/Venus conjuction tonight, maybe tomorrow when Venus occults the Moon :cry:

:v8: Phew!!!
    I thought all my hours of work putting SIR Alfonso's tile details onto the MARS designed Shuttle had gone to waste....
  6. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

7. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Tommorrow night from 15:45 - 17:14 UK time in the Southwest sky we can see Venus in the centre with Jupiter just above and the cresent Moon to the right of Venus.
    Over that hour Venus will disappear behind the Moon to reappear later on the other side of the Moon(Occultation)..

29th December 17:00 UK time Jupiter,Mercury and the Moon will be visible altogether aswell...

Attached Files:

8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Redesigned Belly Pattern for The Marscenter Model

Hi Wayne,

Those redesigned belly, wing & flap patterns look very good. Could you send some PDFs my way? I have sent you a PM.

I´d like to incorporate them into my ongoing Raketoplán Atlantis - Marscenter Atlantis 1:72 scale shuttle build. Thanks.

Bengt :thumb:
  9. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Awesome, Thanks for the Information. I'll keep an eye out tomorrow night for it and see what happens here.
  10. yoanncr

yoanncr New Member

can you sent to me too, i am very interresed for your files !!!!
  11. dhanners

dhanners Member

Well, I was hoping to get more done today but I was satisfied with getting the OMS pods done. I'm not real crazy with their fit. Maybe it's the design, maybe it is the modifications I made to the kit or maybe I just didn't read the instructions correctly. Whatever it was, they didn't turn out the way I had envisioned and I had to do quite a bit of fiddling to get them to look presentable. I'll probably lightly sand the AFRSI blankets to get them to look better. Granted, the OMS pods are are pretty complex shape to model in card, but the whole thing took quite a bit of work. I'm thinking after this, the rest of the model will be a breeze, but then I started thinking about modifications I want to make to the wings, the payload bay doors, the nose section, etc., and I realize the whole thing is going to be a "challenge."

As for the photos, the SSME mounts and SSMEs still aren't glued on, nor is the tail, but I set them up to get an idea of what the whole thing's going to look like. Eventually, that is....

Attached Files:

12. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

It looks Great! The tiles look real As for the pods and fitting, nothing is perfect and nothing ever will. Just trying and doing the best you can is the best result you can get.
    (I sound like a parent)
    I agree though about the sanding, just to even out the tiles. Just be careful not to ruin anything you are happy with. Good luck on the rest of the build.

Do you plan on doing interior for Atlantis? Just asking.
  13. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words. I rubbed the pods with the edge of a dowel and it made the edges lay down a bit so now they don't stick up like they did. I'll also probably be doing new OMS nozzles; the ones in the photos were just an experiment.

As for the interior, no, I'm going to just be happy to get the exterior done. Then I have to start work on the ET and SRBs.....
  14. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Oh My God the talent....

Been hoping you might take a crack at this one...well done

John John
  15. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words, but I already noticed a screw-up I'll have to fix tonight. The AFRSI blankets extend onto the RCS structures at the rear of the OMS pods. So I'll have to put some on. Ugh.

And as a bit of advice for folks wanting to build this model, I'd suggest cutting off the RCS structures when building the OMS pods. They just get in the way of all the folding and bending and shaping you're going to be doing. It's easier just to cut them off, then assemble them and put them on separately. At least it was for me.
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Marscenter Atlantis Space Shuttle 1:96 Scale

You are doing a tremendous job with the modified fin for the braking chute, the SSME engines and all the AFRSI blankets at this smaller scale!
    My hat is off to you.

I found this remarkable image at NASA´s photo archive, showing the rear end of Endeavour, with the main engines and OMS pods. I hope it might be of some help to you in the detailing.
    I found it particularly interesting to see the inside color of the engine bells - they are not, as you might assume, soot black. The main engine bells are a tad towards brown and the OMS engine bells are a more neutral light grey:

Keep up the good work,
    Bengt :thumb:
  17. dhanners

dhanners Member

That is a good photo, Bengt. Even though I'm swimming in research, it would've been helpful to have that photo because now I see something I did wrong and I'm trying to figure out if I should start the whole thing over or press on with what I've got so far....
  18. exzealot

exzealot Member

Sorry I haven't weighed in on this before. This is the most realistic shuttle I have seen yet. The shingled effect makes a HUGE difference on the realism.

I'll be following this.

19. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks, Ken. Back in the late '80s or early '90s, I built a Revell 1/144th-scale shuttle and used surgical tape to replicate the AFRSI blankets. In real life, they look quite rough, especially close up. I remember seeing them on Discovery in the OPF and wondering how something with such a rough surface could fly; then again, when you start off going 17,500 mph, "flying" is a relative term.

Now that I've switch to working in card, it only seemed reasonable to do the blankets in paper. I tried a couple of other things first, including spraying quilted toilet paper with a 50-50 mix of glue and water. It didn't really turn out like I had hoped.... I think the textured craft paper works better, although I would've liked to have had it in a bit thinner stock. Oh well.
  20. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

i am willing to redo my STS-107(rest in peace, especially to KC, she was kinda beautiful, what a loss.) Columbia 1/144 scale by alfonsey(axm) with that nice Thermal blanket covering. what paper do i use and how do i make the paper look like that texture?

also, some references of thermal blanket patterns especially the tail's SILTS pod.