MARS Center Shuttle -- Atlantis

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by dhanners, Nov 23, 2008.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words, but there's a difference between designing -- which is what you do -- and building, which is what I do. Building is a lot easier; you just have to figure out how to make a one-off piece and that's it. Designing is a whole other (and more complicated) ball game, so my hat is off to you and others who do it. I just glue things together.

Speaking of building, I hope to finish the forward skirts tonight and post some photos. Most models depict the upper part of the skirts as a simple cone, but when you look at them closely, there is quite a bit of detail -- there's a covering over about the top one-third of the cone, then five then latitudinal lines below them, and six evenly-spaced longitudinal lines coming down from the top of the cone. I'm not describing it very well.... (You can kind of make them out in the attached photo.)

I'm donig the lines with very thin strips of the same cream-colored paper that I've used to build the skirts. I'm also detailing the separation motors and some other bits and pieces. And I've come up with some good photos of the sides of the SRBs. There's a lot more going on than just that white or black field joints.

Given the weather in Minnesota right now -- as I write this, it is -7 F in St. Paul -- about the only thing you can do is stay inside and model....

Attached Files:

2. dhanners

dhanners Member

And not to get too ahead of myself, but has anyone scaled up Sir Alfonso's MLP and Crawler-Transporter to 1/96th scale? I'm wondering if it might work....
  3. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

4. dhanners

dhanners Member

I just checked that out and am VERY impressed. Quite a build. Have you got the whole thing finished? What you've got so far looks great!
  5. dhanners

dhanners Member

I'm not 100 percent done with them, and there are still a couple of areas to clean up, but here are a couple of photos of my interpretation of the SRBs' forward skirt, frustum and nosecap. As mentioned before, the lined parts are thin strips of paper cut and glued on.

I may tone the cream color down a bit by rubbing the paper with some white pastel chalk.

Attached Files:

6. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

The subtle difference in cream/white makes all the difference..well done

John John
  7. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

I have mentioned in another thread,I made the mistake of buying one of these!!
    I have not touched my STS117 build for a couple of months!!
    With the nights getting shorter again and spring getting nearer I will get back on it..
    But you have set the bar very,very high with your 1/96 Atlantis build:mrgreen:

Attached Files:

8. dhanners

dhanners Member

The solids -- well, everything north of the aft skirt -- are now largely done. I still have to come up with some way to replicate the spray-on foam applied to some of the lower rings.

There were no particularly difficult techniques used in what you see. The SRBs' bodies are made out of a glossy "coated text" paper. I used some of BILL Spencer's and Alfonso's kit parts as guides, as well as photos and scale drawings I have. In the course of digging up the photos, I came across some oddities (at least visually) of the SRB that I hope help make these a fairly accurate depiction.

Next, I'm going to figure out the aft SRB/ET attachments, and when all that is done and square, I'll start work on the SRB nozzles and flexible insulation curtains. I'm still trying to find good photos of the current look of those parts.

Attached Files:

9. mvink

mvink Member

Man, this just keeps getting better and better!:inw:
  10. dhanners

dhanners Member

Here are the SRBs with the insulation on. I used a paper towel. I was looking for something that would give the rough-textured look of the insulation. I thought about using yarn, but couldn't figure out how to make it look flat like it's supposed to. So then I thought about using toilet paper in some way, but that didn't work. So I grabbed a paper towel, got it soaking wet and then folded it and stretched it out to dry. Once it was dry, I painted it, then when the paint was dry, I cut thin strips and glued them on to the appropriate joints.

Now on to the business end of the SRBs....

Attached Files:

11. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

The insulation looks great and the boosters, wonderful. You are certainly making this a worthwhile project.
  12. Wow!!!!!!!

OMG, I'm looking at a master at work:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
  13. dhanners

dhanners Member

Well, the glue's a-dryin' and so later tonight or first thing tomorrow I'll post photos of the completed stack. I made a base out of wood, and the glue is drying on that, too.

Until then, here are some photos of the completed ET/SRB assembly. I finally found some good photos of the underside of the SRBs. It appears the insulation curtain is now a tan color, and it appears that it is surrounded by the same type of foam used on the SRBs' stiffening rings. I used Bill Spencer's parts for the curtain, but painted them tan, then once they were glued on, I glued on some of the painted paper towel that I had left over from when I did the rings.

After some tweaking, everything seemed to line up fairly decently. I added a few last-minute bits, then made the Orbiter's aft attachment closeout doors, glued them on, glued the Orbiter to the stack (I used wood glue for extra strength and now I'm going to take the wife out to a movie (we're thinking "Slumdog Millionaire") and take some photos later with a nice backdrop.

While I'm glad to be getting the monster done, there are a couple of aspects of gluing Atlantis on that were kind of a bummer. For one, all that work I did on the ET's plumbing and aft orbiter attachment fitting? You don't see much of it now. And all that work I did weathering Atlantis' belly? You don't see much of that, either.

Oh well....

Attached Files:

14. voyager76

voyager76 New Member

Hey, I'm sure you took the real one and shrinked it to the scale.:mrgreen:

Excellent work.:thumb:
  15. dhanners

dhanners Member

I went back and looked at my original post, and it was Nov. 23. Has it been that long? When I launched (pun intended) into this project, I had no idea how long it would take. I had a slight notion of what building challenges it would present, and there were some unforeseen challenges that hit me while I was in the middle of it. But I figured most of them out. I think.

Not to sound like I'm on stage at the Academy Awards, but I want to thank everyone for their support, inspiration and kind words. In particular, I want to thank Raimundo Fortezza for offering the shuttle, which can be built into a fine model; I want to thank Sir Alfonso and Bill Spencer for their detailed research and design work, from which I borrowed heavily; and I want to thank the folks at the local copying store, who put up with all my odd requests to have a bunch of stuff photocopied at 104 percent. And I need to thank my wife for putting up with the mess on the table from time to time....

About the only thing left to do is to paint the base, but it's 13 degrees F out today (better than the 22-below it was the other morning) so I'll probably wait for it to warm up a bit.

I've also included a photo of Atlantis next to my build of Leo's Energia/Buran.

Attached Files:

16. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Well done

John John
  17. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

What a wonderful looking and very detailed model.:thumb:

Looks good sitting side by side Buran. I think it's about time we had a new picture of the week.
  18. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, my vote for "picture of the week" would be Ken's X-15A-2. That's an amazing piece of work....
  19. Master Piece

Sir, you are truly the Picaso of building. Truly mind boggling to beginners like myself. Would to have seen a flight deck included in such great work of art sir.
  20. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

A truly amazing and beautiful piece of ART, David.

I don't find the words, but yours is one of the most detailed and superb work I've seen.