Marine Supply Company

Discussion in 'The Academy' started by spitfire, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Wow Val!
    This is really excellent work, & very inspirational to me, as I'm contemplating starting some scratchbuilds using wood (new to me)
    I think the structure looks great the way it is, but would be just as stunning in all wood...I say go with your gut, Val! :) You truly have the eye of an artist! :cool:
    Hey, does Tichey make window castings in O scale?
  2. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Val, I like the brick office as it gives the look of what you might expect in the real world. It would look fine in wood too. I agree with Will in that having different roofs for each structure is advisable.
  4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Looks good Val. The roofs look like "spanish tile" like would be found in the Southwest. Is that type of roofing material used in the Northeast? I guess when I think of the Northeast, I think of roofs made of slate, shingles, sheet metal, or composition shingles.
  5. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Russ, the roof is that metal "board & batten" looking stuff - I forget what it's called, but it does have a name. Anyway, I made an alternate roof for the main structure today - tar paper. Also finished the doors to the sail loft and the upper walkway. Need to add stairs too. It will be tricky matching painted plastic to the colour of stained wood.

Here's today's progress. You can decide which roof looks better. :D

Attached Files:

6. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Looks much better Val :thumb: you do very good work.

I am glad to see the railing up around the second floor doors.
    The workplace safety LPB will be pleased and will drop the investigation now. :cool:
  7. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Looks great Val. :thumb:
    I like the tar paper roof also.
    The other roof looked as though a new roof was just installed.
    You could of put up some ladders and had a roofing crew cleaning up after the job. :D
  8. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I have to agree with the others I like the new roof better. I guess the red color had me thinking you had Spanish tile on the roofs. I couldn't see the detail that well on my screen to tell what it really looked like.
  9. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Hey Val, it's looking great! I love the interior shot with the open drawers, and it will look even better when you are finished. I have the same gut feeling you do about the brick addition, think wood would look better. Hey, you asked! You sure do work quickly!
  10. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Looking good Val! The tarpaper roof came out great!
  11. Matthyro

Impressive Val. The roof is much more in keeping with the structure. Nice work.
  12. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks very much for all the suggestions and kind comments everyone. :)

Today I went ahead and took off the brick addition and rebuilt it as wood. I just knew that it would keep bugging me until I did this, so now I'm happy.

Funny thing, once I had the extension made of wood, the tarpaper roof began to look too grey, so I decided to put the original metal roof back on for this shot. All that's left to do to the structure now is add the staircase, and the storage area at the back. I'm also going to build a wooden boat cradle for the repair bay, and I have some more detail parts ordered - tools and such.

Also, the place now has a name - it's Alex Marine Supply, named after our friend and fellow Gauger, Alex (Arlaghan), who's into ship models.

Attached Files:

13. Matthyro

Looks good Val but please do some more weathering on that steel roof as it looks too new. But then again, if it fits the area wher it is to be located then OK.
  14. Locobreath

Locobreath Member

Like the color of your stained wood. Looks real promising. :thumb: :thumb:
  15. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Don't worry Robin - you know how I like to weather stuff! :D

I'm actually trying out this roof to see how I like it. I have one other idea and that is to use cedar shakes, bleached almost white. We'll see.....

16. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Val: I like the wood extension better. I felt that the brick extension to a wooden building didn't look right; would prefer a wood extension to a brick building.
  17. Catt

Catt Guest

The wood extension looks great Val.I vote for the steel roof,it just looks right on your wood building.

Ya know the only place I've ever seen a tarpaper roof like the one you have is on models.All the real ones I've ever seen or put on for that matter used roll roofing and its a lot longer than them little pieces the modelers use.(in fact here in West Michigan the rolls are 19' long)
  18. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks Tyson. David, JohN, I agree. That brick extension just didn't feel right to me, nor did the tarpaper roof. I'm sure there are plenty of places that have them, but around here I haven't seen any.

19. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Awesome job, Val!

I agree with your choice of roofing. The metal does look better on the all wooden structure.
  20. Hi Val,

You are doing a beautiful job on the Marine Supply....well done!!!!

Karl Osolinski
    Berkley, MI
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.