Marek PBY in 1:100 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Ashrunner, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Well, I mentioned it before and although I doubt it, there might be someone who has wondered what the progress on the kit has been. So, I guess I will update the progress.

No building has started yet, as I am still in the process of cutting out the parts. Its a slow process for me, as I do a little here and a little there. But I now have only three pages of parts to cut out, including the page with the most parts, the smallest parts, the parts I am dreading the most 8v) Also, once I finish cutting out the parts for the build, I will do the laminating parts. And here, I have a question for the for the community.

And that question is: I know laminating in normal 1:50 scale would require cardstock in the neighborhood of .5 to .8 mm. Building in 1:100 would thereby require .25 to .4 mm stock for part. I did a test on a part with some .3 stock I have and it appears to be a bit too thick. Does the requirement for laminating parts decrease proportionally to the decrease in scale, or would there be some sort of logrithmic scale to follow? I am mostly curious about this, as I have more or less decided I would use a 110 lbs stock for backing and thin it out as required. But it did bring up that question in my mind and I can't come to terms with a solid answer.
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey........I'm intrested........and I bet Huey still is too!

Good question...........I'm betting that you right about the logrithmic scale thing.

Have you tried laminating 20# or even 24 or 28# stock into multiple layers.... until you get what you thing might be closer to te scale you need? Seems like your eye would be the best judge for this.
  3. Huey

Huey Member

If we have stuck with the 1:50 scale, we would not be having this problem and conversation on laminating ( :lol: ). I'm with bowdenja, multiple layering depending on the size of the part.

I'm really looking forward to see the build on this my friend :D.
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

Well, as 1/100 is on the larger end of what I build, I'll tell
    ya what I do.

For formers I just double 67# stock. Then, for the wheels,
    I just laminate anywhere from 3 to 6 (depending on tire size)
    pieces thick.

For tight rolled parts (gun barrels, landing gear, etc) I print
    the parts on regular printer paper. By the time they are
    rolled, they are sturdy, and just about the right size.

Hope this helps a "little" bit!

5. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

One effect of scaling I never thought about was the way total thickness of the laminate would displace bits and pieces you glue onto the laminate.

Let me try to explain - the effect you immediately think about is thickness of slots. In my case, I scaled up and laminated too thick. No problems with the slots, I thought (correct so far), just cut them a little bit wider.

What I didn't think about is that there are parts glued onto the now thicker part, and those parts will be offset just a little bit. Sometimes I think this played a part in making the whole framework just a tiny little bit larger in some dimensions. But I may be reading too much into it.

Anyhow, you're scaling down, which would make that problem smaller - I think. - L.
  6. Maurice

Maurice Member

There's nothing complicated about the maths (math) involved.
    Copy paper is about 0.1.
    Laminate that onto 0.5 and you have 0.6.
    Halve that and you have 0.3.
    Halving the print size of the templates halves the size of the slots, but you still print onto 0.1.
    So your 0.1 now needs to be laminated onto 0.2.
    Or it may well be possible to print direct onto 0.3 anyway.

Scaling up is the same in that the copy paper remains at 0.1.

(Note - All dimensions in mm unless otherwise stated. :D )

7. nogard

nogard New Member

Here's somthing from the cabinet making files.

Depending on the type and consistency of your glue and the pressure under which it is clamped laminating papers (as well as veneers) can add extra dimension not expected (I learned this the hard way).

you may want to try a few test lamination with paper you know the dimensions of to discover if your glueing method is adding up (2+2=5 etc.). So you can take this into account when rescaling your paper.

double lamination,
    paper + paper + glue =thickness

8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I guess I should update my progress...or lack thereof...on the PBY. It is still on the board, but with the advance of colder weather, I'd rather not continue cutting on small parts until I have "limber" hands and fingers. So until it does warm either in my work room (which is also my living quarters) or outside to where it warms inside, the PBY will have to wait.

It's a pain getting older...eyes, fingers, hands, all seem to be linked and want to go south on ya...hehe. You can take the going south either way or both ways. 8v)