Marek Marathon - Pfalz D IIIa-Hitschler

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by jagolden, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jagolden

jagolden Guest

I dove in and joined the Marek Models Marathon sponsored by Chris at

I'm not a fast builder so luckily I have 'till July 31st. I certainly wont win the contest!
    This is my first on-line build. Patience, please.

My build is Marek's 1:33 scale Pfalz D_IIIa-Hitschler.
    Designer: Marek
    Repaint: Sergey Vlasenko with assistance of Ralph Currell
    With Chris' permission I have scaled up to 1:24.

The build will be made straight from the printed pages with no fancy detailing.
    The only add-ons will be the cables, edge coloring, and rounding of the wheels.
    This is to keep with Chris' desire to show how the actual purchased model will appear when built.

Thanks to Chris and for offering the models and contest!

Below are a couple of pages. The models have a clean, colorful cover. Inside is a nice page of history, the model pages (laid out nicely) and lastly the instructions.
    The instruction diagrams are a little basic but typical. I much prefer some 3 dimensional drawings or photos.

Attached Files:

2. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I look forward to following this build. I'm especially interested to see if you find the instructions/diagrams to be sufficient. I'm no good at biplanes or I'd try one of these. There's certainly a wide selection of color schemes available!
  3. jagolden

jagolden Guest

I'm sure I'll be looking up reference and other built models on the web. Looking at the diagrams I'm already thinking WT*.

This will be interesting. I've never built a plane with formers. Should the fusilage the skins be put on 1/2 of the former so the next skin can be attached to the other 1/2?
    Or should I print out 2 sets of formers and butt the sections together. hmm?

I'm starting with the engine.
  4. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I think the Pfalz kits are bulkhead formers that glue together. I think I have one of these kits on file somewhere from years ago. I need to check. Each section of fuselage should have two formers. Most often they are labeled with letters as opposed to numbers, i.e., parts A and A1 or A1 and A2. You essentially create a sort of drum out of each section (fuselage skin section 1 with A1 and A2 at either end, for example )and these sections are then glued face to face to assemble the fuselage. So the bulkhead formers sit on the inner edge of each section. Does that make any sense?
    The Stuka kit uses a different system, bulkhead with formers, but I think the Pfalz doesn't use this system?
    Sorry if all I've done is confuse you more!
  5. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Confused? Not at all. It answers what I was asking.

I took a look at the parts, interesting. The fuselage uses a combination of butt connections, and lap joints with single formers in those pieces. Could be better illustrated with little work.

This was good. After studying the parts and the writing, I understand an am comfortable with it.

Somewhere I have a PDF of a beautiful build using butt connecting bulkheads. It might have been a P-51.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

7. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Chris, yes big help. Nice build, too!

In the thread there was a mention of the camera flash and how it shows every little mistake like is a glaring blunder.

For all close-up shots with flash, I use either a white plastic cover from a margarine tub or the silver/gray plastic cover from a Philladelphia Brand Cream Cheese tub as a diffuser. I think the silver/gray one works very well.

I also run all of them through Photoshop as well before posting to adjust levels.
  8. doctormax

doctormax Member

I wish you luck and of course have fun making the model. is there lots of small parts? They would kill me to be honest.
  9. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Not a lot of small parts at all. The engine and the machine guns have the most, but no biggie.
    The engine is a basic inline build. Few fidlly pieces on top and sides.
  10. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Some small progress. Work is very busy and getting ready for a vacation. Sorry there's not more.

I ganged up multiple copies of the engine parts on one sheet so have extras in case I ruin a part.

Engine block first. When I cut out, I left tabs on edges that had none. I also left 4 on the bottom. The part as printed had only the two bottom tabs.

I glued the block to a piece of thin board for stability and strength. Formed the cylinders, and made support/attachment plugs by glue winding paper around toothpicks until they fit snuggly inside the cylinders and glued.

Making holes in the top of the block, glued the cylinders in place.

Made pipe from toothpick scraped and sanded down. I'll add a sheen to it using CA glue when it is set. When the glue had set a little, I removed the excess glue with a hobby knife.

The pictures may be out of order. I have no idea how to make them appear in the order I want.
    I plan to take some of this on vacation so Ican at least finish the engine next week.

Attached Files:

11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Nice engine and great idea with the toothpicks!
  12. doctormax

doctormax Member

looking good.
  13. sharklord

sharklord New Member

How's your pfalz coming along?