March 2003 Model Railroader Covergirl

TampaTrainDude

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I have a question for you all. I was gazing at the latest Model Railroader Magazine cover and couldnt take my eyes off this beautiful Milwaukee Road passenger train. The article inside says its a Hiawatha but all the Hiawathas Ive seen looked nothing like this one. What can anyone tell me about this engine? Where can I get it? Will I have to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house in order to afford it?

Thanks in advance for anything you can give me on this!

Mike

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
A few years back MR did an article on the Hiawatha. Complete with consists and color renditions of the cars and locos. What you're looking at is the tail end. That is the observation car especially built for the Hiawatha. By the late '50's I think the motive power might of been either E or maybe F units.
A "Mili" fan could probably tell you more on the history.
As far as getting one, Rivorossi does sell a 4-6-2 Heavy Pacific in The Chipawa scheme, which is the closest thing I see.
Hope this helps.

TampaTrainDude

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Just got a response from Model Railroader. Jim Hediger says its made up of Railway Classics cars and they sell for $400-$500 each. Im thinking a second mortgage would be needed in my case. Oh thanks for the heads up on the Obs car!