March 07 photo competition: trains aren't the only way to fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Allrighty, if I don't get off my duff and pick a pic, I'll miss this one. Here it is.
It was near 5 o'clock and I was on top of the bleachers watching a little league game. The field lights had come on already bathing this end of town in a bright glow. As I turned around and looked behind me, off in the background, I just barely had time to pull out my camera and caught a picture of the evening freight growling up the grade with an easy load of postholes bound for the connector. The office building has just let out and traffic temporarily increases until the evening commuters clear out. The city employees down in the bottom left have been standing around that hole all day and still have not found the problem. The two guys on top of the roof on the top right have resorted to bringing out the hammer in a last minute attempt to get that heater fixed before nightfall. It's gonna be a good evening!

Attachments

• City South Street 02 low res.jpg
    City South Street 02 low res.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 300

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Dang, still don't have a camera, I really want to enter in this contest!! Guess I got a few days left

BTW, Nice pics guys, Don I like that pic, cool construction scene, and Deano, awesome shot of the United Transfer Building!!

doctorwayne

Here's an old photo that surfaced recently, depicting an incident that occurred almost 70 years ago. Inquiries reveal that several parties, including not only the participants directly involved, but also upper echelon railroad managers, had conspired to suppress all records of this occurrence.

Only moments ago, two of the Cruikshank boys, Ab and Rex, had stalled their 1925 Model T pickup on the level crossing at Indian Line. On their way to the Farmer's Market in nearby Aberfoyle with a load of live poultry, the two were looking forward to a big day "on the town". Rex had just hopped out to man the starter crank when the boys heard a train whistling for the crossing. Looking along the track as it curved down towards the Maitland River, it was obvious that the train was moving slowly, and would surely be able to stop when the crew saw the situation ahead.

Suddenly, it began to dawn on Rex that no one was looking out the fireman's cab window, and that the engineer, on the outside of the curve, couldn't even see the crossing from the right-hand seatbox. He hollered to his older brother, and both hurried to the rear of the vehicle, confident that they could easily push it clear. Unbeknownst to them, at the same time that their engine had died, the front u-joint on the driveshaft had disintegrated, and the disconnected end of the shaft was now firmly wedged in the flangeway of the crossing.
The locomotive, seemingly struggling with its short train, drew ever closer, its progress unabated. Suddenly, Ab saw the driveshaft, and in an instant knew that if they pushed from the front, they could....
The loco hit the little pick-up at about 15 mph, with both boys drawing back slightly, like a held breath, at the moment of impact. Almost immediately, they heard the brakes apply, even as the truck bounced along the track, shedding suddenly useless parts, and crated chickens alike.

This photo was taken only minutes after the impact. A few of the chickens have survived, and the rear end brakeman, out of sight here, is gathering up a few that didn't: they'll make a fine meal for the crew later. Young Rex, still in shock, watches him with mouth agape. On the left, the Conductor issues orders, while Ab, nearest him, surveys the scene. The engineer, in overalls, begins to attempt to move the wreckage, while the fireman, at right, moves some debris from the track.

If sufficient facts and photos can be found, the rest of this story will be told elsewhere. For now, the photo:
fresh_foe-toes_031A.jpg

Wayne

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
There's a few pics here that make me think of that old song: "Country road, take me home, to the place I belong, west Virginia...........". Hehehe

Deano- Great looking backdrop:thumb: :thumb:

Zigzag- Welcome aboard:thumb: Excellent grand entrance:thumb: :thumb:

Wayne- I've never seen anybody take the time to dissassemble and crush a car like that, but it looks very authentic:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ok, the K&W construction co, under contract from the new layout owner, loaded up all their New CAT equipment on flatcars, along with a work trailer, and headed towards an unfinished area of the layout . It seems the owner has been slow at finishing grading and laying ballast and track.sign1
On a secondary mainline next to them, a long freight waits to depart. As well as some truckers await to drop their trailers for loading onto spine cars for the long trip ahead of them.:thumb:
entry008.jpg

Papa, you live in/near Auburn? I live about 30 miles SW in Ladonia (Phenix City):wave:
Someone else here lives in Manchester, GA area, who was that again??? HMMM:D
We out to try and get together one weekend, maybe at the Lee county Flea Market. Found a good deal there a few months back. A guy had some nice weathered HO freight for $5@, and picked up 4:thumb:

Papa Bear

Hey Thoroughbreed. :wave: I live in Troy. I took that picture when I was a student at Auburn several years ago.

I'm up for getting together sometime. Do they have trains at the flea market very often?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Ok here is my entry for this months contest. A BNSF double stack train has just gone by the main road and now truck traffic can pass, it was starting to build up after the long wait.

27.jpg

Papa Bear said:
Hey Thoroughbreed. :wave: I live in Troy. I took that picture when I was a student at Auburn several years ago.

I'm up for getting together sometime. Do they have trains at the flea market very often?

Almost every weekend someone has some trains there, usually Lionel, but I luck out every once in awhile and find some nice HO, scoop it right up:thumb:
I'll be going there this coming weekend. Won't be hard to find me. I'm the one wearing the backbrace and using a cane. Also look for the black "CRUE" hat (acquisition from concert 1.3 yrs ago in Columbus, Motley Crue
rock.gif
):thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Tired of that stressful drive down the highway to work every morning?

TAKE THE TRAIN!

New Jersey Transit: The Way to Go

u34ch017modifiedhv0.jpg

Had to take a break from the scale modeling and wrecked AEM7s to have some fun!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
TruckLover said:
jawdrop that is a heck of a reck :eek: :eek: sign1

I call it road rage gone to far, lol. Which is exactly why you should take the train!

can't complain about the efficiency though... nothing is going to stop that U-boat!

CNWman

CNW Fan
Thoroughbreed said:
I beleive the ultimaate question there is: Are the cars on the train tracks or did you literally take the train to work?
green_elite_crab said:
the latter

sign1 Reminds me of a Batman Begins quote when Batman is running from the cops

Oficer 1: we have the suspect heading your way
Officer 2: ok, what does his vehicle look like?
Officer 1: It looks like a,uh, big black tank
Officer 2: Huh?
(Batmobile zooms by, followed by a doezen or so cop cars)
Officer 2: never mind

In your pic, GEC:

Dispatch: we are reciving several reports of someone causing mass damage in the main city area

cop: 10-4, what does the suspect's vehicle look like?

Dispatch: From what I've heard it's a giant...uh...desiel engine, a U-boat type to be exact, and aparently is driving on the highway

cop: I hate Mondays

sign1

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
That's why I like the Northeast :) The trains are electric... Once off the tracks... they don't get too far sign1 sign1 sign1

... of course, if one train shorts out the wires... about half the trains are affected......:cry: :cry: :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.