Marat in 1/450 scale

The Russian battleship Marat (after modernization) is in my mind one of the most striking battleships ever built. Many years ago (1998 or 1999), I built a model of Marat based upon rudimentary drawings that I had obtained from INRO. My father-in-law was very interested in my ship model projects, so I promised to give him one of them. Marat was the model that I decided to present to him. Following his death, my mother-in-law returned the model to me. It was returned in pretty poor condition. I did a few repairs, but there is color damage from sunlight and insect-related damage. The model lost it's floatplane and a radio antenae. Nevertheless, I still like the general look of the ship. Attached are a few photos.

Attachments

• marat.jpg
    marat.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 33
  • marat_00.jpg
    marat_00.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 17
  • marat_01.jpg
    marat_01.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 17

Bhelliom

Still looks pretty good, Greg, despite the condition. Are there any recent additions to your fleet? As always, any pictures you post go straight into my reference directory.

SK

SK,

Thanks for your interest & comments. Last model I finished (a few months ago) was the IJNS Shikishima, a predreadnought battleship. Although I was satisfied with how the construction process went, I was not happy with the model because I don't think the finished product looks like photos of the ship. Normally, this is not the result a modeler hopes for! Maybe something was wrong with the photos? (Grasping at straws here.) Anyways, thanks again, SK.

G. Shoda

nibel

Another pretty Russian battleship! Great work! Perhaps one day you can show us all your collection of Russian fleet?

Bhelliom

I agree with Jari, I'd like to see your Shikishima anyway. I've found that there are always models a builder is unsatisfied with that others appreciate anyway. I had a laugh a while back when someone complimented how "clean" one of my builds was. I sure didn't think so!

SK

Nibel & SK & Jari:

Thanks for the interest. Despite the very heavy wear & tear on this model, I still like the overall look of the Russian Baltic dreadnoughts. Although I have lots of models that look better, Marat is one of the few models I display because I like the way the ship looks. Someone should make a kit in plastic & paper.

jrantala

Your Marat is excellent!

And I agree, it should be made to a model (and/or a kit). Why have the modellers and kit makers almost forgotten all the old beautiful French and Russian ironclads ?

Golden Bear: Thanks for the kind words.

Thought I'd throw in another photo that I took while experimenting with my new inexpensive Kodak camera that I bought because my trusty Cannon conked out.

Attachments

• marat.jpg
    marat.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 35