manual switching methods

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by bandit, Jan 1, 2005.

1. bandit

bandit New Member

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and have a question I hope someone can answer. I am building a medium size 'n' scale layout. I have heard of several types of manual switches, specifically those that use a pull knob on the front facsia, linked by wire to the switch. I've also heard of a product called "Quick Switch" from Bear Valley railroad supply but don't know how to contact them. Any other ideas? No snap switches please. I am using atlas code 55 track and turnouts.
    Thanks for any help out there.
  2. ausien

ausien Active Member

Hi bandit,
    First let me welcome you to the GAUGE,:wave: you show great tast in joining us,(right guys).... Now to give you MY answer to your question... :confused: I have a very difficult point/switch, to get to, or point moter, so I used a ground throw, mounted three feet from the point(in direct line)the point is not used much, as it is a turn around road(north to south and vice vercer) this works for me, and it might work for you..Have a good one...steve
  3. seanm

seanm Member

4. bandit

bandit New Member

Thanks for the input. Some ideas to toss around. I've been experimenting with slide switches but using a solid wire gave it too much throw for the small code 55 switches. I may give it a shot using the piano wire.
  5. seanm

seanm Member

No problem Bandit.... I am still wondering how I will end up acomplishing the same thing. I am using Atlas code 55 as well, but have not gotten to track laying yet. I like the slide switch idea, but I hate working under the layout.... I have in the past used HO switch motors and a music wire linkage that was very easy to setup. I may go back to that but add a relay to power the frogs and panel display.
  6. belg

belg Member

Hey Bandit welcome aboard let me ask a question if I may are you doing this to save money? Because from what I can see on most of those premade ones the cost is a little steep and a lot of other material required to make them work, as well as a TON of time to put them together and install. IMHO Pat
  7. bandit

bandit New Member

It isn't so much a money thing. I used peco switch machines on my previous layout and found that while they worked very well, I hated the mass of wires, pushbuttons, and lamps needed to make everything work. With dpdt slide switches the wires only go to one source and I can use a single 2-color led on the control panel.
  8. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Hi Bandit,

If you are finding solid wire too stiff (don't know what you are using), you will not see any difference with piano wire - it is very solid!! The trick with the "choke cable" approach is to put a "Z" bend in the wire so it acts like a spring to keep the points against the rail. Be sure to mount your cable with the points in the middle, so that when you are done the Z streches as you pull it towards you, and compresses as you throw it over to the other side...