Mantua/Model Power --- Hmmmmm

Model Power recently took over the Mantua line. For we who model old time HO, thats big news. I was interested in how they might be to deal with so I ordered some small parts from them (for the General 4-4-0) as a sort of test. I’m a little disappointed. Parts prices are quite high (crosshead rivet 30 cents, axle bearing 90 cents, pony truck spring $1.20, etc.) But that is often the story with these companies. “Parts is a captive market. Soak ‘em for all you can.” My small order quickly came up to $50.00.

But what really seems excessive to me is they charged $9.00 for shipping. This was for a small plastic bag, a very few foam “peanuts”, a small box, and 83 cents in postage!

Bill S

billk

S&H charges are infuriating, aren't they? I was impressed with 4Nscale (aka Rio Grande Hobbies) -- they have a flat $6.95 shipping charge - my last order came via priority US mail, in one of those 3-sided shipping cartons (I had ordered some flex track among other stuff), and the postage was $6.75, so they certainly didn't make much money on the S&H!