Mantua/Model Power --- Hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Bill Stone, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

Model Power recently took over the Mantua line. For we who model old time HO, thats big news. I was interested in how they might be to deal with so I ordered some small parts from them (for the General 4-4-0) as a sort of test. I’m a little disappointed. Parts prices are quite high (crosshead rivet 30 cents, axle bearing 90 cents, pony truck spring $1.20, etc.) But that is often the story with these companies. “Parts is a captive market. Soak ‘em for all you can.” My small order quickly came up to $50.00.

But what really seems excessive to me is they charged $9.00 for shipping. This was for a small plastic bag, a very few foam “peanuts”, a small box, and 83 cents in postage!

Bill S
  2. billk

billk Active Member

S&H charges are infuriating, aren't they? I was impressed with 4Nscale (aka Rio Grande Hobbies) -- they have a flat $6.95 shipping charge - my last order came via priority US mail, in one of those 3-sided shipping cartons (I had ordered some flex track among other stuff), and the postage was $6.75, so they certainly didn't make much money on the S&H!