Mantua Classics series

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
Just wanted to get a feel from some of you guys on the Mantua Classics line (I guess their being made by Model Power now). I am particularly interested in the Goat and Camelbacks. Let me know what you think of them!!!;)

thanks,
Mark

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Hi Mark:wave: , I bought the Mantua 0-6-0 T and had to take it back. The frame was curved, so the rear driver wasn't even touching the rail. Everytime I backed up, the loco would derail. But, I understand mine was a exception( wirh my luck, that figures), other people have had no problems at all. When you test run the loco, push down on the cab roof, to make sure the driver is on the rail.
Also, I recently bought the 2-6-6-2 by Mantua, and it runs great. Smooth running and great low speed. Now, all three locos have the same drive, so that gives you an idea of what they are like.

Good Luck.

Loren

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Loren, Mark-------I recently got one of their 2-6-6-2's and it runs/performs just fine. I know you said the goat or camelback, but these 2-6-6-2's are fun to watch. This definately is not a yard engine and it sounds like that's what your really looking for.
I asked the same question, [ Mantua quality], awhile back when I was considering the one I have, and all the feedback I got was pretty positive. I don't believe the one with the twisted frame is typical of this manufacturer. The replacement will likely give years of trouble free service. --------------------John

GN.2-6-8-0

May 25, 2006
Glendale AZ.
Is there a review on the new 2-6-6-2 available online? I have one of the old kits that i built years ago and am wondering about what improvements they've made....Also are they still in kit form or RTR?

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
So far as I know M.P. only brings them out R.T.R.. These are also better runners than the originals I've been told by many collectors, picked up one of the old metal 4-8-2s and boy oh boy I've never felt such a heavy loco in my life- and it's still reletively small!!

The nice thing about the wagons is that they have a nice weight as well, but have plastic wheels- I don't understand why M.P. don't put metal wheels on since their- more plastic looking- wagons have them. They come with McHenery Knuckle couplers- not as efficient as Kaydees.

Haven't heard many complaints about Mantua, but one does receive the odd "Black Sheep" from the factory, almost bound to happen.

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
I have many Mantua locomotives. All are great preformers. Model power is now the owner of Mantua products. When they took posesion of the company they changed the nabme to Mantua Classics.