Mantua Classics (Model Power?)

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Catt, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Catt

Catt Guest

2. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

yeh sounds pretty good.
  3. alkcnw

alkcnw Member

I don't know guys, I don't think model power can ever match Mantua models. Even with their tooling they will find some way to make short cuts and come up with junk. The only thing I ever found model power good for is kitbashing. Now this is just my opinion and I don't what to offend anybody by it!!:eek:
  4. David Leone

David Leone New Member

Mantua classics

Model Power wants to re-release the Mantua line, upgraded as premium items. Given their excellent new N scale 4-4-0, they may deserve another look. The problem is that Mantua threw all remaining stock of parts and models in the dumpster. Model Power has the tooling, but almost nothing else. It will take them a while to sort all this out.
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

It'll be name only at best (sigh) and I always wanted to get one of ther Booth Kelly logging mallets.:rolleyes:
  6. mhdishere

mhdishere Member

My wife tried to get me a Camelback Pacific for Christmas 2004 (that's NOT a typo), but it's STILL on back-order at Trainworld and they don't know when they're coming in. As far as I've heard the only engine to actually hit the store shelves is the 0-6-0 tank engine, and I don't know anyone who's seen or bought one. I considered buying one, but the Spectrum model is in the same price range and is proven.

I'd love to see these models out though, not least of which because they're about the only camelbacks in plastic except for the IHC 2-6-0.
  7. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I think i have seen the 2-6-6-2 out...

8. petey

petey Member

What is on their site are: 0-4-0T, 0-4-0, 0-4-0 Fat Boy, and a 2-6-0.
  9. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

You looked at the wrong page. Those are all Model Power junk. If you look at the directory on the ho tains page, you will see a subheading titled "Mantua Classic Locos" near the end. Those are the Mantua models they are offering.
  10. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I can't believe what they are asking for those.
    I pick those up at shows for a couple of dollars each.
    I hope they release more of the Mantua locomotives and get their parts program together. I use a lot of the drive line parts to upgrade older locos.
  11. ross31r

ross31r Member

they arent as bad as you think they are - people say the same about Mehano/IHC locomotives but they are every bit as powerful as locomotives twice their price.

Admitedly, these Mantua ones are a bit expensive - but so is everything if you buy direct from manufacturer. Buy from an online site!
  12. oleirish

oleirish Member

logging mallet

I got this one on E-BAY for a good price [​IMG] and I'am modifying it some what,A good runer so far!!
  13. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

IHC Steam..... Not the greatest detail in the hobby, but an excellent running loco, perfect for a younger modeler who just wants a steam loco. I am impressed with how well the IHC steam does run.
    When the news first broke about the Model Power/ Mantua merge, I had a chance to talk to the M.P. people at Trainfest. Their commitment was to improve, and keep the price down on the Mantua line. I have yet to doubt the commitment.
  14. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The Mantua prices may seem expensive, but they are actually competitive with most good ho steam engines. Before Model Power bought Mantua, Mantua's prices were about double what Model Power is listing them at!
  15. hd8091

hd8091 Member

I got one of the 2-6-6-2 tanks from Trainworld last week. They also have the 2-6-6-2 with tender but only in Great Northern??? Any way it runs much better and quieter than the old Mantua Mfg. ones , athough it needs some details added.
  16. petey

petey Member

Thanks for the tip Russ, I wondered why I didn't see the 2-6-6-2Ts, since I knew they were out. Those I found I knew were not Mantuas. I have an older Mantua, art., w/tender, silver & maroon. Very pretty, and runs nicely after adjusting the gear mesh. I anticipated them being better than originals, considering the advancements made in the current model engineering. The art.-Ts, can be had for $90, discounted.