Mantua 060 tanker

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by Nomad, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

I bought that at my LHS yesterday. I was going to use it as a little industry switcher.
    Ran great on there little test track. Looks nice and I like it. Brought it home and broke it in going forward. No problem. Tried to reverse and it derails.
    The center drivers are flangless and have to much side to side slop. They drop off the side of the rails, and pull the engine sideways. I put in some temparary shims and fixed that, so I thought. Backs up a little bit and derails again. I know the track is ok so I keep checking the engine. It apears the frame is bowed a little bit. Sitting on the track, you can rock the locomotive down and up. The rear driver is not even touching the rails. I am taking it back today.
    Maybe I bought a bad one, I don't know. I have not seen anybody else talking about this engine,but I thought I would pass my experience on.
  2. Dakota train

Dakota train Member

I've been looking at getting one of those switchers for my boy for christmas. So if he gets one, I'll post my experience with it.:wave:
  3. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Time to go back to the hobby shop with it.
  4. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Already took it back. It was the first one they have sold, and the only one in stock,so they did not know if this is a common problem or not.
  5. Dakota train

Dakota train Member

My boy did get a switcher for christmas, he's proud of it. Takes it whereever he goes. No problems with the switcher, everything works fine, stays on track forward and reverse. You must have just got a defective one. It has great low end speed, dont expect to pull to many cars with it, pulls about six centerflows and thats about it. But I guess it wasn't made to pull a big load, just to switch some cars around. Overall, great little engine:thumb:
  6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

I am really glad to hear your boy is happy and the switcher is ok:D . Thanks for the update.
    Happy Holidays.