1. Ladies & gentlemen, I would like to announce that there is a new photo gallery section. You can create your own personal photo gallery (to include setting up your own albums). You can even post videos. You can also post and share photos in the galleries of others (if that person allows such), as well . ENJOY!!!

Mantua 0-6-0 Kit

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Modellbahner, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Hi Guys,

I bought last weekend two kits of a Mantua 0-6-0 switcher. The kit number is 502 and my major problem is that both kits are missing the motor and also the parts where the motor is mounted. Can somebody give me a hint where I can buy a motor and how I can assemble it to the engine?
    My second problem is that there was no manual to the kits, is it possible to get it from the I-net? Or does someone has a manual for that kit?

Thanks

Axel
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

That'll be a tough one. Other than a lucky shot on eBay or at a swap meet, your best bet would be to do a conversion thru www.nwsl.com They're really helpful and you'll end up with better running locos.
  3. mhdishere

mhdishere Member

Model Power now makes Mantua, you may be able to get parts thru them.
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thank goodness for corporate take-overs ;) Forgot about that one.
  5. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Locomotion makes a drop in replacement can motor. #130100
    You may find a stock motor at a train show.
    Most of the Mantua and Tyco locomotive kits used the same motor. These motors bolt directly to the frame with no other hardware.
    Assembly is relatively easy unless your kit has the valve gear kit, they will take some time and Patience. I might have a diagram of the Mantua Valve gear kit somewhere around here.
  6. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Hi Ray,

at first I have to find out, if I have the valve gear. It would be helpful to have this diagram. Please mail it to axel.scheffler at web.de
    I will also try to find something from Modelpower.
    If someone else have some pictures of a complete model please mail it to me;-)
    Thanks for the help.

Axel
  7. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Hi Guys,

finally this weekend I got a motor and this small thing is realy running. I love it. Thanks Ray for the pictures. They realy helped.
    I got a motor of an old Mantua Camel Back with a broken frame. Now I have to paint it and letter it. I will post some pictures if it done.

Axel
  8. Ray Marinaccio

Glad to hear you got one running Axel.
    Looking forward to seeing a photo of it.
  9. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Hi Guys,

here are some pictures of the project. Before and after. I think the results are OK for the first try;-)

Axel

Attached Files:

10. Ray Marinaccio

Nice job on the kit Axel. :thumb:
    The paint job looks great. :thumb:
  11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Sweet :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  12. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

The paint job was a littlebit difficulty. As long as I was working with the primer and the black color everything was fine. After the paint was dry I want to weather it with dry chalk and it looked very nice. I gave the model a last shot with Testors Dull Coat and the chalk was gone :confused: Nothing to see of the weathering. So I had to do the weathering job again. This time after the dull coat and now it's not very good if you touch it by hand. But overall I love it :)

Since I have second superstructure I want to do a second body. I will try to add some specialparts like waterpump and a new grab handle. Any suggestions or recommendations in regard to extra parts?

Axel
  13. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

The darker browns for rust, black for soot and dark grey for grime seem to work out alright for me. I use dry brushed paints for my lighter colors as my experience with lighter chalks is pretty much the same as yours :oops: . As for details to modify, I would suggest removing the cast on grab irons and replacing them with ones formed from wire. I would then add coupler lift bars and air hoses front and rear and replace the bell, whistle and steam generator with Cal-Scale castings :thumb: .