Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander

Apr 20, 2006
Zakopane, Poland
Hi All

I promissed to start this thread last week here:
http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4886&page=6
, but cause of my modem breakdown i didn't. Now i'll try to repair this.

My name is Leszek, I'm from Zakopane, Poland.
I retourned to cardmodeling two years ago, after twelve years of break and the Essex is my best work for a while.
Those photos shows the model under construction:

Blue flight deck and planes were not with the kit, they were designed by my friend Origami especialy for this model and are avalaible to upload on his web site with many other planes in 1:200 and 1:300 scale.

http://www.republika.pl/waspcv7/warsztat.htm

I made some Dauntless, Hellcats, Helldivers and Avengers. Total 30 pieces.

Spinning propeler effect is printed on transparent plastic card.
The planes with the kit were violet and poor.

The masts and radars i made myself with thiny iron and copper wires and cyanoacrylic glue.

Finally, some photos of finished model.

I hope it's not to much and You enjoy to watching the pictures. :)

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
yaniv beat me by seconds..............

Leszek, your work is amazing..............thank you for showing us your work and giving away some secrets!

john

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Beautiful work. Is this the latest release of the kit (within the last couple of years) or the old version from the early 90s? I have the kit printed out with enlargement to 1:250 scale, but haven't started building yet. Did you encounter any parts fit problems during the build? And how well do the wire parts hold together using cya rather than solder? Thank you very much for the link....the quality of the flight deck aircraft is still a Maly Modelarz weakness. You wouldn't happen to know if anyone has created/made available deck equipment like aircraft tugs and crash trucks? That seems to still be one big hole in the paper media for us who are interested in flattops.

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Great work! I was wondering how this looked built up, and I second Darwin's questions, fit difficulities, early vs newer kit. to answer a tech question Darwin, the last few masts and radar sets I built up with brass bits and such the superglues worked very well as long as there was not alot of stress/ strain used to hold the shapes. If the metal parts needed the glue to hold an abnormal curved shape, ovals etc that weren't bent to the exact shape they would spring open at the most inoppurtune times. I apologize for stepping in with above advice, esp with such a great build.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
A simply gorgeous build. I have this kit in my stash if it's the newer one. That just goes to show what a really nice model can be made from this very affordable kit.

This is a museum quality model!

Great job.

Highlander

Apr 20, 2006
Zakopane, Poland
Thank You for all compliments :-D

The kit is newer version. The old one is hand-drawing, the new one is computer-redraw but with many mistakes in colour scheme.
Fit problems. Dimmensions between frames are too big and paper is too thin, so it's hard to build the hull correctly. I had fit problems at the stern, starboard was too short 2mm and portside 1mm.
Other parts were, I can tell, good enough.

Darwin, like cmdrted said, metal parts hold together good. Using cya is easier, but solder is more solid.
I know nothing about any deck equipment that You asked, sorry.

Milenio3, the Essex won bronze medal in Porabka cardmodelers competition in 'warships open class' with 89 points, she is not good enough to win internationals competitions.The Essex isn't fulfilling theirs regulations, I made too many changes if compare with original kit.

Maybe next one will be better, it's GPM Zuikaku 1:200,actually under construction, really big one :)
She looks like that for today.

Cheers,

Leszek.

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Leszek, the anti-aircraft guns could stand by themselves as mini-models. Simply beautiful. About your comments regarding the hull....do you think there are just not enough formers in the kit as designed? Sounds as if this problem will be made worse by enlarging the kit. Do you think filling the spaces between formers with styrofoam blocks cut and sanded to shape would cure the problem? Did you build jigs for making the wire radar antennas? I hope you post plenty of pictures of your builds....they really are inspiration to the rest of us to stretch our building ability.

Highlander

Apr 20, 2006
Zakopane, Poland
The picture of the week for the Essex. :) What a nice surprise. :) I'm honoured :)

Thank You Barry. Your Fuso is outstanding work, beautiful ship. :)

Thank You Darwin. About the Essex hull You're right, there's not enough formers and filling the hull with styrofoam blocks seems to be good idea. It should prevent plating elements from collapsing.

I've used similar method for Zuikaku hull.

The flat parts of the hull are covered with 2mm cardboard.

The formers were copyed two times.The copys were glued 2mm from the edge of each side of each former. :grin: Next step is gluing 1mm cardboard straps (1cm width) on added supports between formers. After that the framing was painted with varnish to reinforce it. The framing, prepared so, was next ......(?) and sanded. I hope it's intelligible enough. :eek:ops:

And covered with boards and plating elements.

It's only one of many alternatives and filling the hull with styrofoam blocks is the good idea also, but need some practice in to work.

Darwin wrote:
Did you build jigs for making the wire radar antennas?
I don't know what 'jigs' means. :eek:ops: I'm going to do a radar for Zuikaku soon, I'll show how.

Progress for last two weeks.:)

Regards.

Leszek.

Highlander

Apr 20, 2006
Zakopane, Poland
The picture of the week for the Essex. :) What a nice surprise. :) I'm honoured :)

Thank You Barry. Your Fuso is outstanding work, beautiful ship. :)

Thank You Darwin. About the Essex hull You're right, there's not enough formers and filling the hull with styrofoam blocks seems to be good idea. It should prevent plating elements from collapsing.

I've used similar method for Zuikaku hull.

The flat parts of the hull are covered with 2mm cardboard.

The formers were copyed two times.The copys were glued 2mm from the edge of each side of each former. :grin: Next step is gluing 1mm cardboard straps (1cm width) on added supports between formers. After that the framing was painted with varnish to reinforce it. The framing, prepared so, was next ......(?) and sanded. I hope it's intelligible enough. :eek:ops:

And covered with boards and plating elements.

It's only one of many alternatives and filling the hull with styrofoam blocks is the good idea also, but need some practice in to work.

Darwin wrote:
Did you build jigs for making the wire radar antennas?
I don't know what 'jigs' means. :eek:ops: I'm going to do a radar for Zuikaku soon, I'll show how.

Progress for last two weeks.:)

Regards.

Leszek.

Status
Not open for further replies.